PDF Viewer Blurry images

So I’m trying to to display alerts in the PDF viewer by reading byte array data from a database. Everything seems to be functioning decently, but the images are incredibly blurry. The text is basically unreadable. Is this a limitation of data loss when converting back and forth from byte arrays, or is this a bug or something I can fix?

Sounds more like a problem with how the data’s getting into the database. By definition, a byte array should be an exact replication of the raw data in a PDF. How are you putting the data into the DB?

path = system.file.openFile("pdf")

if path != None:
    data = system.file.readFileAsBytes(path)

system.db.runPrepUpdate("INSERT INTO quality_alert_pdf (pdf) VALUES (?)", [data])

data = system.db.runQuery("select pdf from quality_alert_pdf")
system.tag.write("[client]PDF Dataset", data)
size = data.getRowCount()
index = 1
system.tag.write("[client]manage index", index)
displayStr = str(index) + " / " + str(size)
if data.getRowCount() > 0:
	pdf = data.getValueAt(0,"pdf")
	system.gui.getParentWindow(event).getComponentForPath('Root Container.PDF Viewer').loadPDFBytes(pdf, "pdf") 

Just an excerpt with the upload and display.

I get no blur on 7.9.10 using similar code. Is the datatype of your SQL column BLOB?

I use a dropdown to change PDF’s

Do note I am using Scalar SQL return

if event.propertyName == "selectedValue":
	id = event.newValue   #First get the id from the dropdown.
	bytes = system.db.runScalarQuery("SELECT FileBytes FROM dummy_pdf WHERE id = %d" % id)  #Query for the raw pdf data by using the id.
	name = system.db.runScalarQuery("SELECT Filename FROM dummy_pdf WHERE id = %d" % id)   #Query for the file's name by using the id.
	event.source.parent.getComponent('PDF Viewer').loadPDFBytes(bytes, name)

I never reported this “issue” to IA Staff, but I was facing a problem with one of my reports where some lines were not displaying and the chart data was hard to read. Maybe it’s the same thing you’re facing.

I ended up writing a temp file, and passing the path to the PDF Viewer component like this:

# Set Report Path
report_path = "path/to/report"

# Create temp file
temp_file = system.file.getTempFile("pdf")

# Set report parameters and execute
params = {
}
bytes = system.report.executeReport(path=report_path,
                                    parameters=params,
                                    fileType="pdf")

# Write bytes into temp file
system.file.writeFile(temp_file, bytes)

# Finally bind the temp_file path to the File Path property of the
# PDF Viewer component.

After the client is closed, all temp files will/should be deleted.

Hopefully this helps.

Tried all of the above. No luck. Entire PDF image looks compressed and blurry when running the live client.

Edit: Even converting the file to bytes then immediately converting it back to be displayed as a PDF results in image compression. Even directly referencing the file location results in a blurry image.

This is a component issue with the PDF viewer. Guess I’ll have to find an alternative.

You can check the resolution and quality of the images being displayed in the PDF viewer. Blurry images can result from low-resolution or poorly compressed images and for image compression you can try any online application such as https://jpegcompressor.com/ it compresses images without losing their quality.