PDF Viewer doesn't render embedded images

Hi folks,

Ignition 7.9.6

I’m working with a user manual PDF from a contractor, and the client would like it available in a PDF reader in the client. I’ve tried pointing the PDF reader directly at the PDF, as well as uploading to the database as a blob.In both instances, none of the images within the PDF load, while text and table load just fine. If I export the pages to image files and create a new PDF from them, none of the information on the pages loads, and it just displays 18 blank pages.

I have not been able to find anything specifically regarding images in PDFs not loading, though I see that the PDF reader has limited support and known shortcomings in 7.9. I understand if its not possible, just looking for some guidance and to help save some time if this cannot be accomplished.

Cheers,
Andrew

Can you post your code (Jython script) for the BLOB method?

And attach said PDF if you are allowed?

Happy to share what I can. I cannot share the specific user manual, but I have a couple other documents that mimic the behavior I am seeing. I’ve attached 2 files that do not render images or whole pages when displayed, either using a blob or directly specifying the file path from the PDF viewer.

SI6700 Spec.pdf (390.7 KB)
Moxa-Mgate-5105.pdf (720.1 KB)

Blob upload script (taken straight from Ignition user manual):

# Find the path to the PDF file.
path = system.file.openFile("pdf")

# Check to ensure that the user actually selected a filepath.
if path != None:

# Read the file as bytes.
    data = system.file.readFileAsBytes(path)

# Ask the user to enter in a filename.
    # Will grab just the filename and extension from the path as a suggestion.
    name = system.gui.inputBox("Enter a name for the file", path.split('\\')[-1])

# Check to ensure that the user entered a name for the file.
    if name != None:

# Insert the data and name into the database.
        system.db.runPrepUpdate("INSERT INTO File_Storage (FileName, Data) VALUES (?,?)", [name,data])

And displaying that document. For now I am manually setting the ID, until I am confident we can get this working.

#ID of user manual in File_Storage Folder
id = 7

#Query for the raw pdf data by using the id.
bytes = system.db.runScalarQuery("SELECT Data FROM File_Storage WHERE FileID_ndx = %d" % id)  
name = system.db.runScalarQuery("SELECT FileName FROM File_Storage WHERE FileID_ndx = %d" % id)

#Load the bytes and the name into the PDF viewer component.
event.source.parent.getComponent('PDF Viewer').loadPDFBytes(bytes, name)

Let me run some tests on 7.9.X with alternate code. Have a meeting this afternoon (UK time zone) that I need to prep for.

Will report back, no pun intended, if no one else beats me to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I ran your code on 7.9.12 with MySQL 5.7.29

The only thing I had to change was a LONGBLOB not BLOB for the column type for PDF bytes.

I tweaked a few names just for testing, results look ok to me

def insert():
	# Find the path to the PDF file.
	path = system.file.openFile("pdf")

# Check to ensure that the user actually selected a filepath.
	if path != None:

# Read the file as bytes.
	    data = system.file.readFileAsBytes(path)

# Ask the user to enter in a filename.
	    # Will grab just the filename and extension from the path as a suggestion.
	    name = system.gui.inputBox("Enter a name for the file", path.split('\\')[-1])

# Check to ensure that the user entered a name for the file.
	    if name != None:

# Insert the data and name into the database.
	        system.db.runPrepUpdate("INSERT INTO testing (name, data_blob) VALUES (?,?)", [name,data])

def retrieve():      

#ID of user manual in File_Storage Folder
	id = 1

#Query for the raw pdf data by using the id.
	bytes = system.db.runScalarQuery("SELECT data_blob FROM testing WHERE idtesting = %d" % id)  
	name = system.db.runScalarQuery("SELECT name FROM testing WHERE idtesting = %d" % id)

#Load the bytes and the name into the PDF viewer component.
	event.source.parent.getComponent('PDF Viewer').loadPDFBytes(bytes, name)        

insert()	
#retrieve()	

Thanks for checking.
This client is running on 7.9.6 - I’ll spin up a 7.9.7/8/9/10 and see if / where this functionality shows up. I suspect it’s just an ignition version issue.

I’ll let you know what I find out.

Cheers!

Confirmed on 7.9.12 with MSSQL that the PDF viewer has no problem displaying the PDFs in question.
I assume its an Ignition version issue, but I can’t find any more information. Maybe someone at IA will have more insight.

Cheers!

1 Like