Perspective and Vision on Same Gateway

I just updated my Gateway to version 8.1.17. I have a vision license installed and no perspective license. I am attempting to look at a project installed by an OEM that is created in perspective. I exported the project and imported it into my Engineering Gateway. When I attempt to open the project the designer has the vision editing selection available in the browser tree, but no perspective. I attempted to create an empty test project to see what would happen, and it also has the vision selection available in the tree, but no perspective. I did press the activate Trial license button to start the perspective module installed.
I am wondering if this is a licensing issue or if there is a different problem.

Perspective was already in your list of installed modules? Your description of the designer's behaviour suggests not. Activating trial mode won't install the module for you.

the module is installed and I also performed a reinstall prior.

Hmm. No idea.

Yeah, a little frustrating, created a new gateway on a linux VM and was able to fully access the project. But at some point I want to begin building in house gateway projects in perspective, and I am hoping to nip this in the bud before I need it.

Any errors during designer startup (check the output console)? If you go to Help → About Ignition Designer, is Perspective in the list of loaded modules?

No errors in the output console related to perspective, one error about chromium feature being blocked by administration.

And a view of my project browser tree

That's probably it. Can you post the full log?
Chromium is used by JxBrowser (the framework we use) to embed a web browser inside of the designer, the rest of which is rendered by Java Swing. If Chromium (and thus, JxBrowser) can't load, then the entire startup process for Perspective is probably stopping.

11:43:13.523 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Downloading… [+0]
11:43:17.498 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Cleanup… [+3975]
11:43:17.503 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Initializing UI… [+3980]
11:43:17.545 [Designer-Startup] INFO tags.manager.gwinterface - Tag poll rate changed to 250 ms
11:43:17.545 [DesignerExecEngine-1] INFO tags.subscriptions - Changing connected quality to ‘Good’
11:43:19.320 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Vision [+5797]
11:43:21.507 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Perspective [+7984]
11:43:22.757 [Designer-Startup] INFO Perspective.Designer - Starting up Perspective module. Mode: Trial
11:43:24.161 [Designer-Startup] ERROR designer.JXBrowserUtil - Failed to start Browser Engine with options
com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.EngineOptions:
autoplayEnabled: false
chromiumDir: C:\Users\dwhite.ignition\cache\resources\jxbrowser\7.12.1
chromiumSwitches:
diskCacheSize:
fileAccessFromFilesAllowed: false
isGpuDisabled: false
isIncognitoEnabled:false
language:en-us
passwordStore:
remoteDebugginPort: 9222
renderingMode: OFF_SCREEN
isSandboxDisabled: false
secureOriginWhitelist:
isTouchMenuEnabled: false
userAgent:
userDataDir:C:\Users\dwhite\AppData\Local\Temp\UserData\36e5b681-ce17-4c60-b53e-b05a69a45245
webSecurityDisabled: false
com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.ChromiumBinariesExtractionException: Failed to extract Chromium binaries into C:\Users\dwhite.ignition\cache\resources\jxbrowser\7.12.1
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.internal.xz.XzExtractor.extract(XzExtractor.java:61)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.internal.ChromiumExtractor.lambda$extract$0(ChromiumExtractor.java:38)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.internal.ChromiumExtractor.extract(ChromiumExtractor.java:35)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.internal.EngineImpl.lambda$extractChromiumBinariesIfNecessary$20(EngineImpl.java:514)
at java.base/java.util.Optional.orElseGet(Unknown Source)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.internal.EngineImpl.extractChromiumBinariesIfNecessary(EngineImpl.java:512)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.internal.EngineImpl.newInstance(EngineImpl.java:185)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.Engine.newInstance(Engine.java:106)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.JxBrowserUtil.lambda$getOrCreateEngine$2(JxBrowserUtil.java:352)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.JxBrowserUtil.runResourceLockedAction(JxBrowserUtil.java:534)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.JxBrowserUtil.getOrCreateEngine(JxBrowserUtil.java:352)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.JxBrowserUtil.getOrCreateEngine(JxBrowserUtil.java:397)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.DesignerHook.startup(DesignerHook.java:200)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$LoadedModule.startup(IgnitionDesigner.java:1957)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.startupModule(IgnitionDesigner.java:1187)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.lambda$loadProject$7(IgnitionDesigner.java:990)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.loadProject(IgnitionDesigner.java:989)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$StartupProjectDialogHandler.lambda$new$2(IgnitionDesigner.java:2021)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “C:\Users\dwhite.ignition\cache\resources\jxbrowser\7.12.1\7zr.exe”: CreateProcess error=1260, This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.internal.xz.XZ.decompress(XZ.java:22)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.internal.xz.XzExtractor.extract(XzExtractor.java:56)
… 28 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=1260, This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
… 34 common frames omitted
11:43:24.237 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Symbol Factory [+10714]
11:43:24.240 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Alarm Notification [+10717]
11:43:25.782 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: SFC [+12259]
11:43:26.237 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: OPC-UA [+12714]
11:43:26.237 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Enterprise Administration [+12714]
11:43:26.326 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: SQL Bridge [+12803]
11:43:27.766 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: DNP3 Driver [+14243]
11:43:27.767 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Serial Support Client [+14244]
11:43:27.769 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: OpcCom [+14246]
11:43:27.769 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Reporting [+14246]
11:43:27.787 [Designer-Startup] INFO reporting.Designer - Starting up Reporting Module. Mode: Activated
11:43:27.934 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Initializing Scripting… [+14411]
11:43:28.041 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Initializing UI… [+14518]
11:43:28.048 [Designer-Startup] INFO com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.querybrowser.QueryBrowser - No default datasource set for project. Set default in gateway and relaunch project.

Yeah, that'll do it. JxBrowser can't set up Chromium, so the entire Perspective startup process isn't happening (since there's no point in loading the rest of Perspective if you can't actually view or interact with your Perspective resources).

Does this look like the culprit?

Oops, you already shared that, i will work with IT to see if I can release the 7zr.exe zip file controller

1 Like