Perspective Designer Timeout Issues

On 8.0.10 RC1
When I first start using the designer on a perspective project, everything saves fine. After a certain numbe r of saves, the saves start slowing down and eventually I get the following.

java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.timedGet(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:383)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:60)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:160)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.commitAll(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:312)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewWorkspace.notifyProjectSaveStart(ViewWorkspace.java:293)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.DesignerHook.notifyProjectSaveStart(DesignerHook.java:439)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.commitAll(IgnitionDesigner.java:1512)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.handleSave(IgnitionDesigner.java:1278)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler.handleSaveAction(IgnitionDesigner.java:2674)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler$5.actionPerformed(IgnitionDesigner.java:2262)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.plaf.basic.BasicJideButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.0.10-rc1 (b2020030312)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.6

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had the same thing happen. It has happened on some of the previous versions weā€™ve been on as well. I thought it was just our network but then again we donā€™t have the same issue with our gateway on 7.9.5

1 Like

I also have this problem a lot in previous version and of course 8.0.10. it seems it is because of embedded Java web browser.

Can you provided us with more context in how to replicate this issue, please? A general idea of what your designer/project may look like before this occurs. Information about the operating system wouldnā€™t hurt.

Gateway: Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
Host: Windows 10 Enterprise

Project:
100 of which are actual windows
70 are contributing objects
~160,000 tags are being fed to this gateway as a from a remote tag provider from our Ignition 7.9.5 gateway

Iā€™ll be working normally. With 5 or 6 views open and sometimes the designer will just freeze and show the error from the initial post. I can sometimes get away with closing the views and reopening them and Ignition will continue to chug along, but, sometimes I have to entirely close Ignition and reopen it as it will happen again and again until i restart my designer.

I donā€™t believe iā€™m doing anything special to get this to happen. Usually it consists of saving every 5 to 10 minutes and checking the results in the phone app or via a web browser.

1 Like

This happened to me again just now causing me to lose a few hours of work.

For some reason when this timeout issue occurs and you close a window it doesnā€™t store the changes locally. The designer just acts like those changes never happened.

Not a solution, but at least a band aid:

Interestingā€¦ I thought the changes not being stored locally was a but, but apparently, thatā€™s by design.

We usually edit on our production server so i donā€™t usually save until all my changes are in place. But with this ā€œfeatureā€ iā€™ll have to change my work flow.

Thank you for linking that!

I also have this problem every time I save(also takes a very long time to save), and when I leave the designer open to go to lunch.

java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.timedGet(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:383)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:60)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:160)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.commitAll(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:300)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewWorkspace.notifyProjectSaveStart(ViewWorkspace.java:281)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.DesignerHook.notifyProjectSaveStart(DesignerHook.java:423)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.commitAll(IgnitionDesigner.java:1483)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.handleSave(IgnitionDesigner.java:1252)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler.handleSaveAction(IgnitionDesigner.java:2641)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler$5.actionPerformed(IgnitionDesigner.java:2229)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Actions.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingUtilities.notifyAction(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyBinding(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JMenuBar.processBindingForKeyStrokeRecursive(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JMenuBar.processBindingForKeyStrokeRecursive(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JMenuBar.processKeyBinding(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.KeyboardManager.fireBinding(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.KeyboardManager.fireKeyboardAction(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyBindingsForAllComponents(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyBindings(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.0.6 (b2019111216)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.4

1 Like