Perspective On-screen Keyboard on Linux

Hello - I’m using Perspective Workstation on Linux with a touch screen. The On-Screen keyboard does not launch when I try to login. I do have an OSK installed.

does it launch outside of the workstation?

Depending on the linux distro you may have to enable the on-screen keyboard on the OS settings. If you provide some more information about the distro you are using and what version of workstation you are on it might help get you sorted.

Thanks,
Jonathan C

I can launch it independently outside of workstation; it does not launch behind the workstation browser.

It is IGEL OS running XFCE (I think). Running Perspective Workstation 8.1.7.

I remember you posting in the past about getting workstation running on this device. I know its not on the supported systems list, but could you check if the on screen keyboard appears under chrome on this system?

It does not - good thought. I figured out an inelegant work around on the thin client (enabling an always-on-top keyboard toggle button), but I’ll circle back with the vendor to see if we can figure out why it’s not popping up. I’ll reply on here if I find that it works on Chrome and not on Workstation. Thanks!

2 Likes

This issue seems to me like it could be related to this issue...

I'm going to bet that if you are on a regular monitor the issue goes away but when using a touchscreen you will have the issue. I believe it is related to the touch interface and linux somehow. The extension mentioned in the link seems to fix the issue on Ubuntu by making Ubuntu think a keyboard is always plugged in, so it keeps the OSK disabled. You can then use Ignition's touch screen mode to enable the OSK through Ignition.

It's only an issue when using the touch interface. Even with the touchscreen being used, it works fine as long as I use the keyboard and mouse. It's only when I use the touchscreen that the OSK has these issues.