Perspective Report Viewer Loading Indicator

I have some questions on how the loading icon on the report viewer component works. We have a report viewer that the user selects the date to change the report time frame, when the page is opened initially they are greeted with the following error message "Missing PDF…:

The error message clears after about 5 seconds and the report displays correctly.

Once the page has been opened and they change the date nothing seems to happen for 4 or 5 seconds and then the loading wheel pops up for less than a second and the new report is generated.

It would be ideal to indicate to the user that the report is getting generated (loading data etc) and then only show the completed report once it has finished loading. This would both prevent any confusion on whether they changed the report parameters and also prevent unusual error messages.

My specific questions are:

1. What does the loading icon mean, does it only relate to the database query and not the report generation?
  2. If there is no way to use the build in loading screen is there an alternative approach that could give the same effect?
  3. How to prevent the error message.

The gateway is running 8.1.1 and is on a remote server, and the report viewer is in perspective.

Hi @Jonathan_A, we tend to use animations to hide this. Normally a delayed fade in animation (e.g 0% opacity for a delay of 1s followed by a fade in up to 100% over 1s). But our delays are not 4-5 seconds long. It shouldn’t be too hard to hide the report viewer (instead displaying a custom loading view) on the click of loading a different report and then displaying the report viewer again after x seconds.

Unfortunately, I can’t answer your other questions, but I hope that gives a different point of view into how it could be handled. Let us know if you find a better solution in your experimentation.

1 Like

That might be good enough at this stage, thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like