Perspective Session Props & Vision Client Launcher issues

Hi all,

I have an issue in a perspective application where the authenticated username, as well as the longitude and latitude coordinates, do not populate when the application start, they all remain null. The username sometimes populates, not sure what is triggering that.

Is this a browser/PC issue, or more endemic to perspective itself? I understand you may need to do something to the browser to enable geolocation sharing - what was needed for that again?

Furthermore, some machines on the same VPN that are attempting to open the vision client or perspective session cannot get past the java loading area when trying to open the vision or perspective project launcher. Is this a java issue, or some kind of security authentication issue?

Cheers,
Roger

Hi @roger_larson -

In Perspective, it is possible to start a session without authentication. In this case, the system will not know the user's username. You should not expect a username to be available until the user authenticates. If a username is set, it means that the user had to perform authentication at some point.

Longitude and latitude props should populate if session.props.geolocation.enabled is set to true and if you grant permission for Perspective to read your device or browser location information. The first time you start a session with geolocation enabled, your device or browser should ask for your permission.

Furthermore, some machines on the same VPN that are attempting to open the vision client or perspective session cannot get past the java loading area when trying to open the vision or perspective project launcher. Is this a java issue, or some kind of security authentication issue?

Not really sure about this. Could you share a screen shot of what you are talking about?

It turns out the authentication was not the problem - I was using an expression language to check for a session property auth firstname on a greetings page, and if it was empty (equal to ""), use the session property auth username instead. For some reason, that expression would just not work (using admin with empty first and last name) so I simply bound it to the session property auth username instead and it worked fine.

I haven't re-tested that expression since a few updates, but something about that expression binding was awful. I believe expression with just the username or direct binding to it worked fine, but the "if" statement would simply not work for me.

That problem appears to have been fixed with an update. It was working previously, and after a certain update, the coordinates no longer appeared no matter what we did. With Friday's update (or some update before that), this works perfectly fine again.

This has not happened to me, and I cannot test it myself. I will have to ask to see if it is still a problem, but apparently, multiple users were trying to access the project and the vision client launcher would simply not open. It may have been that they needed to re-download the launcher with a new version, but I can't confirm. I'll let you know if it is still occurring.

I haven’t re-tested that expression since a few updates, but something about that expression binding was awful. I believe expression with just the username or direct binding to it worked fine, but the “if” statement would simply not work for me.

The following expression works for me - maybe this is what you are looking for?

if({session.props.auth.user.firstName}=null || trim({session.props.auth.user.firstName})='', {session.props.auth.user.userName}, {session.props.auth.user.firstName})

Keep us posted about the native client launcher problem. If we could get a screen shot and any associated logs that would help us troubleshoot the issue.