Perspective: Slider component slower to load than others

v8.0.15

I’ve noticed that the slider component is often slower to load than other components. Also, what is the overlay that it shows up in the video? I couldn’t find find it in the user manual, only those for Vision.

The overlay is used when a binding is “Pending” a value. I is usually encountered when bound to a tag, and even more commonly found when that binding contains transforms. Bi-directional bindings are also more likely to trigger this overlay.

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 7.33.17 AM

You might want to consider opting out of the quality overlay in the binding dialog.

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 7.36.22 AM

As for the delayed loading, it could be several things, but I don’t want you to think this is a definitive answer: When Sliders have “steps”, it increases the complexity of the component, which can result in a longer “build” time. You also have bindings on the component, and those bindings happen to be triggering an overlay; since you’re in a Flex Container, maybe there’s some extra calculations going on to figure out where to draw the component? We haven’t noticed any increased load time for the Slider by itself.

Thanks for the info! It’s always good to have a deeper understanding of how everything all works together. I think I’ll opt-out as you say to overlays.

Re transforms, when does it become more efficient to use an expression to do your “transforms” compared with stacking transforms? I would try to avoid stacking them in any case, but interested to know

I’m not really the person to ask regarding performance, sorry. I will say that whenever a component loads, the View has to load all of the transforms which come with it. For complicated transforms like long scripts, this can increase the load time. The increase is usually not much, but if you can pull logic out of a transform and re-use that code within a project script it could help reduce the loading time of the component.