Perspective wish list feature request

I'm going to preface this with an admission that I'm not highly involved in Perspective these days, but since you quoted me, I'll offer what I can.

Two weeks ago when I found I didn’t have a “group” tool like in vision

No, it doesn't. Instead it provides first-class support for embedding 'views as components'. If you want a group, do it in a view, and embed that view into others. While slightly less convenient that Vision's system, it's a far more powerful way to compose and group collections of components and offers a ton of benefits that Vision groups lack. If it doesn't meet your needs, then let us know why.

and if I tried to move them all as one with coordinates it stacks them

I'm assuming you are editing positional properties of multiple-selections? If true, I think this is more of a misunderstanding of how multi-selected-component property editing works. It's stacking them because you are literally telling it to set the same value to the x/y of all the things you have selected. I think there's maybe room for adding some sort of 'relative selected component movement', can see something like that being useful. Not planned right now AFAIK. Moving groups is possible with both the mouse as well as hotkeys. Multi-select components, moving with the mouse or arrow keys works.

and if I undo that it sets them all to the previously calculated upper left of the whole selection, rather than putting them back

Undo/Redo has seen a ton of work since the original release. What you describe sounds like a bug. Editing multi-selections should appropriately play into undo/redo as far as I am aware. I'll make a point to try and verify and will create a bug ticket if true.

Going back to the original list:

1. While possibly still needing some attention, undo/redo supports the majority of interactions that one may do in a perspective view editor.

2. Done

3. Done (not sure about animated movement, would have to check)

4. Partial Solution - the pipe and symbol system was created to solve the most common problems people face when trying to create P&ID screens. Basic Vector drawing tools might some day come into perspective, but not planned right now - Inkscape is a free and open source option that's super powerful. Some learning curve, but is so much more capable than anything we'd ever add to the Designer that it's hard to justify trying to make a lite clone of it. Just doesn't make a lot of sense for us to dedicate the time to it when there are still so many other highly requested things to address.

5. Not sure if this has changed.

6. Reporting Done. SFC not.

7. As noted elsewhere in the forums/posts, controlling zoom in a browser from the client is not really feasible - The 'cluttering/decluttering' behavior is something we still plan on supporting and it will support behavior akin to 'zoom in and out', but won't actually change the browser's zoom. Some "layer" or "layer-like" system is likely to play a role in order to trigger component visibility depending on the context/settings of the container (e.g. - zoom level, size, or some other environmental state). No timeline, but we're edging closer to getting something going here than we were last time I responded.

8. I don't think this is something that's feasible right now, and probably not likely to be so in the future. That said - improving the APIs, tools, and documentation for perspective component/module authors is on the TODO list, and should get some attention in the coming months.

9. Again - composing views is the 'native perspective solution' to grouping

10. Not sure where this is at.

11. Done.

12. Not planned at this time.

13. Not planned at this time. I won't say 'never'; we've certainly given the idea lots of thought over the years, but at this moment there is no plan to support client-side JS scripting natively in Ignition

14. IIRC, touch is supported in some of the charts, but may benefit additional touch behaviors.

15. Adding custom fonts is supported (discussed here), but there is still room for improving the Designer and Client Session handling to make the process easier. No plans right now AFAIK.

So I guess that's the update I can offer right now. Of the 8 or so wish list items that we had planned on supporting, most of them are now in the product. One is still in planning stages, and a couple more I'd have to look into.

Needless to say, Perspective is far from 'done' (probably won't ever be 'done'), and there is still a lot on the roadmap in terms of features, and improving stability/performance is a never-ending quest, but we continue to make strides.

5 Likes