PerspectiveWorkstation on Headless Raspberry PI

Hope all is well,

I am trying to run the perspective workstation on a headless raspberry pi. Below are the services/scripts and errors that launch perspectiveworkstation. I know my services are working because the commented-out chromium launches as my test. Also note, if the service is disabled I receive the same error when running sh ~/perspectiveworkstation/perspectiveworkstation.desktop from CLI

sh ~/perspectiveworkstation/perspectiveworkstation.desktop
Error
perspectiveworkstation.desktop: 1: [Desktop: not found
perspectiveworkstation.desktop: 7: Workstation: not found
perspectiveworkstation.desktop: 8: -c: not found

Inside rpik.service

[Unit]
Description=Chromium Kiosk Service
After=rpik-xorg.service network-online.target

[Service]
Environment=DISPLAY=:0.0
Environment=XAUTHORITY=/home/pi/.Xauthority
StandardOutput=journal
Type=simple
ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/pi/rpik.sh
Restart=always
RestartSec=5
User=pi
Group=pi

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Inside rpik.sh

#!/usr/bin/env bash

xset s noblank
xset s off
xset -dpms

unclutter -idle 0.5 -root &

#Comment out sh when testing with chromium
#/usr/bin/chromium-browser --disable-infobars --kiosk --incognito --window-position=0,0
sh ~/perspectiveworkstation/perspectiveworkstation.desktop

What exactly are you expecting to happen when you run something with a GUI in a headless environment?

2 Likes

The Xorg server is set for display=0.0 with the matchbox window manager. There is no desktop but you can bring up chromium just like a desktop.

https://reelyactive.github.io/diy/pi-kiosk/

sudo apt-get -y install --no-install-recommends xserver-xorg x11-xserver-utils x11-apps
    sudo apt-get -y install --no-install-recommends xinit
    sudo apt-get -y install matchbox-window-manager xautomation unclutter
    sudo apt-get -y install chromium-browser

Ok, I see, not what I thought you meant by headless.

Well the most obvious problem I see is that you’re trying to execute a .desktop file and these just simply aren’t executable files. It describes things like the name, description, icon, and how to actually execute the program.

There should be a perspectiveworkstation.sh file that actually launches it and runs the embedded Java runtime with some workstation JAR file as an argument.

I should also note that I don’t know for sure if JavaFX, which is what Perspective Workstation is built in, will run under this minimal Xorg setup or not.

10-4, perspectiveworkstation.sh executes without any error codes but does not open a display. Trying my rpi4 with a desktop to get something running, then disable the desktop and execute the xorg server.

Chromium has issues, especially when it can’t connect to the host. My main goal is to create a “Ignition Panelview”

I’ll need to try Onlogic to see if it boots directly to ignition.

Tried rpi4 full desktop, executing perspectiveworkstation.sh as sudo and not sudo, no reaction. I’ll have to play more with it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if it executes with an arm and openjdk, openjfx…?

I spun up a fresh Linux mint x64 (LMDE) vm and executed perspectiveworkstation.desktop and it worked like a charm. Must be the processor…packages?

Oh… I can’t believe I overlooked that.

There’s no support for ARM in the launchers/workstation/designer right now.

Hoping that changes when we get on JDK 17… we have the runtime right now but it’s JavaFX and JXBrowser that are the issue, I think.

Thanks for the help! Good to know.

Weekly Changelog: 8.1.19-b20220620

Infrastructure

6159: Upgrade the launchers to javaFX 17
The Designer Launcher, Vision Client Launcher, and Perspective Workstation now use JavaFX 17.0.2

if this change included in Linux ARM 64bits installer ?

Can we use Launchers, Vision and Perspective workstation on raspberry PI with Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 LTS?

@jcoffman could probably answer that.

You still won’t have full compatibility because JxBrowser won’t work, but I think the launchers are expected to. I was wrong.

I don’t see new platform/arch combos added by this PR, so I wouldn’t expect it to work on anything but the currently supported platforms. But :man_shrugging:

if this change included in Linux ARM 64bits installer ?

Can we use Launchers, Vision and Perspective workstation on raspberry PI with Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 LTS?

This doesn't change the supported platforms, it just bumps the version of JavaFX we use within the installers, launchers, and Workstation. There is still a ticket to add support to this which is blocked by a ticket which is in active development at the moment.

Ok I see, Java, arm, JavaFx, JxBrowser with native code… All the planets needs to be aligned

Yes, lots of moving parts.

We use OnLogic IGN100s on lots of our projects as a “PanelView Replacement”. Running Ubuntu 20.04 and we load our own copy of Ubuntu and Ignition on it because the one that came pre-imaged didn’t work for us because we needed different touchscreen software and OnLogic wasn’t installing Ignition in the default folder, so the first time we tried upgrading it, we accidentally installed a 2nd copy and broke things. So now we have our own Ubuntu image with Ignition pre-installed that we use. You can set Perspective Workstation or Vision Client to auto-launch (create a shortcut on the desktop for your project, then copy the .desktop file to the ~/.config/autorun (or ~/.config/autostart - I can’t remember the exact folder) and it will run it on a reboot.

1 Like

Hi @michael.flagler,

Thanks for your feedback.
Can you tell use more about the hardware configuration used on those ign100 (CPU, Ram,...)

Thanks

We’re just using the base configuration of like 4GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD. You can’t select a processor, but the one included is an Intel Pentium N4200 which has 4 cores running at 1.1GHz.

There’s a lot of other models that work just fine too and the OnLogic hardware has been working great. Only time we switch is if we need one for hazardous areas (Class I Div 2)