PLC using Logix Driver goes "Idle"

I am having the same issue as well with a L8 series ControlLogix. This is my first Ignition HMI, so not real sure how to pull these logs, but I do know it seems to also possibly happen after a download to the PLC, or an existing PLC Controller tag name change. This is not every time an existing PLC tag name is changed I would like to note just trying to observer something that could be causing. Is there any information I could provide in helping to find a fix?

If you or anyone else interesting in testing something are currently running 8.0.16 then you can install this module and report back if the issue is still happening or not: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lnfvnufjvh017z/OPC-UA-module.modl?dl=0

If I was to put this on my development laptop, would that mean I couldn’t push my changes to the Live Server without installing it there as well?

Do you mean like project changes for your Vision or Perspective?

Yes project and tag changes imported in.

No it wouldn’t have any effect on that.

I have also noticed it happening after a download to the PLC.
During the download the device connection will go Idle, but then the gateway will not reconnect once the download has completed.

Hi Kevin, we installed the module you provided and then tested doing another download into the PLC.
The connection went Idle during download. and then successfully reconnected once the download was complete.

Whatever y’all fixed in the UA module seems to have done it. At least for that part. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Ok, thanks. This fix is already merged such that it will be in the 8.1.1 release and we’re going to backport for 8.0.17 as well.

3 Likes

I can confirm the same success with 8.0.17. Had it on my development laptop but not on server. Laptop with 8.0.17 successfully connected, while Live Server was in Idle state after a PLC download. Good job guys! Thanks for the quick fix! :+1:

Sad to report, I have entered an Idle state again that required a disable/enable to get Device connected again. :frowning:

On your laptop where you installed the new module or on the server?

On the live HMI Server

Well I hate to ask a dumb question but did you install the new module on that server as well? You only mentioned installing it on your laptop.

Yes, my apologies I added it this morning after running all day yesterday with no problems on my laptop.

Ok, if you can, leave all the loggers you find under com.digitalpetri.enip on TRACE level and get the logs if/when it happens again. Also set the logger for drivers.LogixDriver.Requests.ReadBrowseHashRequest to TRACE as well.

Sorry for the delay in response, but I am unaware on how to do these logs. I tried searching for the logs with that name but under the logs in the status tab of gateway but no luck. I will look into getting a better understanding of the logs and jut keep disabling/enabling for now.

I have enabled TRACE on the two logs. It appears I have two writes very frequently on the “…ReadBrowseHashRequest” but I am guessing that is normal?

Yeahhh, we came back to the PLC being Idle again this morning. Seemingly just decided to take a nap and stop updating.
I’ve enabled the logs to TRACE on our system as well.

@bkthomas do you also have the new OPC UA module from earlier in this thread installed?