Potential problem re-using a SSL certificate on a newer gateway?

Figure I should ask here before I potentially cause some unexpected downtime on a production gateway as I don't know anything about SSL.

I have a 7.9 Production gateway. They want to upgrade it to 8.1. I have a new machine that I have 8.1 installed on and a backup of the 7.9 restored to.

The 7.9 had SSL enabled and presumably then had some file it used for the SSL (of what type and what location I don't know yet. All I see is something under Gateway Network Diagnostics under Local Certificate Information, a row of data with a hostname:port number, a serial number and issuer:Self).

Would it be bad to re-use that same file in the 8.1 gateway, would it cause an issue with the 7.9 or should I be asking for a new certificate from their IT team? I do not know what is proper here.

The file format used between 7.9 and 8.1 differs. I think the upgrade process may convert it, but I'm not sure you can just drop the 7.9 file into 8.1.

Certificates identify a machine by hostname or IP address. It doesn't sound like these are the same gateways, so even if you could drop the file in it wouldn't be the right certificate.

1 Like

That's all I needed to know. Appreciate it.