Power Table Column Chooser

Is there a way to use the Column Chooser Menu and have the column start hidden but selectable by the user to display it?
When I hide the column with the Column Chooser in the Designer, it doesn't display in the menu at runtime.

Instead of truly hiding it, you could set the columns min and max width to 0?

Not sure how you’d actually display it then, though.

Is it expected behaviour that hiding the column via the popup menu here (in the Designer):

Is supposed to stay the same when it is refreshed in the Client?

I'm finding that even though i've hidden the "Type" column in Designer, it will become shown in the client which is really annoying.
There are many circumstances where i might want to populate the table with data, but by default only show some of it, while still allowing the user to choose to show those hidden by default.

There doesn't seem to be any way to retain this from Designer to Client....

I'm not seeing this problem. Columns I hide from the popup in the designer stay hidden when I open the window in the client. Furthermore, if I unhide the column in the client and close the window, the column becomes hidden again when I reopen the window. Perhaps the issue is related to the way the table data is being loaded at run time?

The data is written via a script on the root container.
So its not just a static table, nor a table with a data binding. Perhaps that's where the issue lies, but i've had this sort of problem with many tables across the life of the project.