PowerChart won't plot Canary and Ignition Historian tags at the same time

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue with the PowerChart. I'm trying to plot data from both Ignition and Canary Historians on the same chart, but I've been told that this is not possible due to the different underlying technologies used by these historians (SQL and NoSQL, respectively).

I understand the technical explanation, but I'm surprised that the Power Chart can't handle multiple data providers simultaneously, given its ability to plot data from either source individually. I would expect the complexity of these systems to be abstracted from the user experience, especially when using base build components.

Could you please clarify if this is a known limitation of the Power Chart feature? If so, are there any plans to update the Power Chart or Canary module to support plotting data from multiple historians? Alternatively, would we need to develop a custom Power Chart to implement this functionality?

Thanks in advance.

First I've heard of this, fwiw.

By whom?

If Canary's historian acts as a proper historian to the rest of Ignition, it should be totally transparent to the rest of Ignition.

If Canary's historian acts as a proper historian to the rest of Ignition, it should be totally transparent to the rest of Ignition.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The behavior in Ignition indicates otherwise, when inquired with the Element8 Team this was the answer we received.

Let me know if this would considered a bug or if I have missed something in my configuration.

Per the notes at the bottom of this page:
https://canarylabs.com/ignition-module.html

Their documentation claims it should work with the Vision Easy Chart and scripting, and the Power Chart uses the exact same underlying API as both, so it should absolutely work on the Power Chart.

My first guess is a misinformed support rep.
My second guess is, somehow, an unimplemented feature on Canary's part. I would be surprised at this.

1 Like