Printing a Header

Hey guys,

Is there a way to print a header when using the .print() function?

For example; if I print a table, the table prints perfectly fine but there’s no context. Maybe I want to add a description, maybe a date, maybe something else on the upper left hand side of the page. Is there a way to do that other than creating a container and printing the container?

I’m trying to understand your question a little better:

1. Are you trying to just print the table component itself?
  2. Do you want to print the whole window that the table is in?
  3. Would you like to include a header on the table component and then print it?

The default example in the user manual would print any components within the window. If you use this method you would be able to include a description, date, and anything else by utilizing the other components in ignition.

This documentation can be found here:

support.inductiveautomation.com … sub=.print

Hi Sam (welcome, btw!) :smiley:

Our current workaround has been to duplicate the information into a “print friendly” formatted hidden container and print the container. Doug is looking to see if other options exist.

Doug, are you thinking of a page header/footer kind of thing (just so I’m clear on this)?

Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

The problem with just printing a window or a container is that if the table has too much data and requires scrolling then that data is never printed out. However, if you print a table component then all of the data is printed nicely. The only problem is that it’s just a table… No description of what it is, no date, nothing. Just the table data.

It would be nice to be able to add a description header, nothing fancy, just a small description similar to how a easy chart prints out, to the printout of the component. That way when you hand someone a print out of a table you don’t get asked “What is this data for?”.

Hello All,

The best way to achieve all the functionality that your looking for would be to use the reporting module.

The documentation for this can be found here:

support.inductiveautomation.com … erview.htm

Apart from using the reporting module there isn’t a very easy way to add all the information you would like to the table. Without using the report designer you could possibly try:

1. Dynamically querying the data and adding additional rows or columns which would be filled with the content you want (ex. Description, Date).
  2. Exporting the data into excel or another data manipulation software and creating a printout that way.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to let me know.