Problem with TwinCAT 2 OPC-UA and Ignition

Hello,
I’m trying to connect a Beckhoff plc with Ignition. I have installed in beckhoff the OPC-UA license and set all the variables that I want to publish on OPC-UA. The machine is behind a ASA 5501 from CISCO. I have installed, in another PC connected to the same network, a Siemens WinCC V7.3 and from there I can browse alle the tags and in that scada, all the tags are working.
In my laptop I have a virtual machine where Ignition (7.8) is installed and from there I’m able to browse with OPC SCOUT V10 and see all the variables. By the config page, I add a OPC Server and put the opc.tcp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:pppp I press discover and it returns 3 options for connecting to the beckhoff plc. I choose the first one no no security policy and message security, I complete the settings (by adding name and description) and I press save. I come back to the OPC server list and it return to me: FAULTED.

If I try to browse the opc tags on the designer, it returns to me this message:

[color=#40BF80]GatewayException: UaException: status=Bad_TcpEndpointUrlInvalid, message=endpoint URL invalid: opc.tcp://OB12_OvotekL1:4840
caused by ExecutionException: UaException: status=Bad_TcpEndpointUrlInvalid, message=endpoint URL invalid: opc.tcp://OB12_OvotekL1:4840
caused by com.digitalpetri.opcua.stack.core.UaException
UaException: status=Bad_TcpEndpointUrlInvalid, message=endpoint URL invalid: opc.tcp://OB12_OvotekL1:4840

Ignition v7.8.0-rc3 (b2015101121)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_77
[/color]

may someone help me? :slight_smile:

I believe this is a problem with the hostname you’ve assigned to the PLC, in particular, you’ve used an underscore (the ‘_’ character) in the hostname, which is not allowed to appear in valid hostnames. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname# … host_names

Java’s URI parser is rather strict about this and I’m not sure there’s any way to turn it off. The easiest course of action would be to change the hostname so that it is valid.

I would also recommend you upgrade away from the 7.8.0 release candidate you’re using, as much has been fixed since then.

Edit: I would upgrade and see if that fixes your problem before you go about changing the hostname. There was a change to how the URIs get parsed at some point in the recent past.

Hi

I’ had the same problem with a CX9020 (twincat 2). It was due to to the host name and I had to enter the IP address into the advanced properties.
If you are using port forwarding don’t forget to activate it in your Cisco and use the IP adress of your switch.

1 Like