Problems to open Project Designer

Dear all,

My name is Hernán and I’m currently working on an automation project using Ignition. Due to the size of the startup windows (3840x2160), we had to increase the “Client Memory” from 32 to 64MB the initial value and 256 to 1024MB the maximum. After this change, we were able to open the Client without problems. Nevertheless, we can not initiate the project designer. After downloading the file and running it, the designer is not displayed. We followed the instructions detailed in the forum about this issue, but the problem persists. We were able to open the designer project in other computers. The specifications of the computer are:

Computers that can open the project designer:

1. Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.2GHz
    RAM: 4GB

2. Processor: Intel® Core™ i7
    RAM: 16GB

Computers that cannot open the project designer:

1. Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.2GHz 2.2GHz
    RAM: 8GB

2. Processor: Intel® Core™ i5
    RAM: 2GB

After changing the Client Memory, last two computers are not be able to open the designer.

We would appreciate if someone could help us to solve this issue.

Best regards

hernan.calderon,

There are a couple of reasons why this may happen:

1. The computers where you cannot launch the Designer may not have Java installed, or there may be a problem with the Java installation
  2. Those computers may not have enough memory installed or not enough memory available at the time of launch.

Here are the things to check:

• What is the Designer memory set to? (You can check that on the Gateway’s "Configure / Gateway Settings page)
    If it is anything greater than 1.5 GB, the 32-bit computer will not be able to launch it. as 32-bit Java cannot handle that heap size. (On some systems the limit is actually closer to 1.4 GB, so you will have to use the 1 GB setting instead)
    The same applies if your 64-bit system has 32-bit Java installed.

• Is Java installed on those systems, and what is the bit architecture of the installation?
    You can check that by running “java -version” (no quotes) from the command line
    If there is no Java installed, install Java
    If the 64-bit machine has 32-bit Java installed, and the Designer memory is greater than 1GB, install 64-bit Java

• Is there enough memory available on the machine?
    Open the task manager and check if there is actually enough free memory on the system.
    A computer may have sufficient memory installed, if not enough memory is free at any given time because other open applications are using it, the Designer will not have enough memory to launch. Close other applications to free up the memory, and try again.