Proper way of working with lines in groups?

On my HMI screens, I like certain areas to pop just a little by making them looked raised. Many items have a boarder option, Beveled - Raised, that gives the exact look I like. However the rectangle tool lacks this feature, so I made two lines using the line tool, aligned them with the top and right sides of the box and it looks great.

In order to easily reuse this raised box, I grouped the rectangle and the two lines, but once I change the dimensions of the box, the lines will disappear! I get that what’s going on is that the line itself isn’t exactly getting rescaled, but the box around the line and when I squish the grouped box down, the box around the line becomes squished such that I can no longer see the line (side note, out of curiosity why is there a box around a line at all? Why not just the line by itself such as in Paint or any other program I can think of?).

So what is the proper way of working with such a group that will allow me to resize a group of line without making the view area box around the line less than the width of the line itself even when resized?

I’m gonna guess that most people would just use a container for such areas, and set it’s border to Beveled-Raised. It has the side benefit of organizing all the components you place in it. Note that you can group items and convert the group to a container if you decide you need one after starting your design.

Just as a side note, groups with shapes only will not have the option of a border or converting to a container.

[quote=“JordanCClark”]Just as a side note, groups with shapes only will not have the option of a border or converting to a container.[/quote]Interesting. I hadn’t encountered that. I guess I would add a simple label, group, convert to container, and then delete the label.

I had thought about using a container, but using a full on container seemed like it was needlessly complicating the screen when all I was doing was adding a little coloration change to denote some setpoints. If to keep things truly scalable across platforms I need to use a container I guess I can, but I’m still curious in the correct method to do what I was describing for situations where I’m seeing a similar issue but a container isn’t a viable solution.