Push notifications to mobile devices

Hi

Have anybody knowledge or idea can we have example apple push notification service integrated directly to ignition gateway? Usin push notifications would be great alternative method for sms alarms.

I’ve researched this a little bit while exploring ideas for improving the mobile module and creating native apps for it; it’s possible, but it’s not easy.

At the minimum you need to be a registered iOS developer so you can obtain the SSL certificate required to communicate with the APNS through the iOS provisioning portal. It may also be possible to use one of the pre-canned but expensive push providers, such as Urban Airship.

Of course, all of this would require writing a module for Ignition using the SDK.

Hi

Yes , I get the idea and basically also know how to do this but do you have any other methods to example send events/alarms on wifi?
We have project coming where is needed to send over 5000 notifications / month and doing this in SMS will get expensive.
If we use email it is not “realtime”.

So if you or anybody have ideas how to do this, please inform!

Br
Tommi

[quote=“vahterto”]Hi

Yes , I get the idea and basically also know how to do this but do you have any other methods to example send events/alarms on wifi?
We have project coming where is needed to send over 5000 notifications / month and doing this in SMS will get expensive.
If we use email it is not “realtime”.

So if you or anybody have ideas how to do this, please inform!

Br
Tommi[/quote]

I’m not sure of the scope of your project, but http://status.net is an open source clone of twitter and would be able to support mobile notifications. The hardest part would probably be getting Ignition to post the status messages.