Python Libraries pymodbus

Morning all

I sometimes struggle with importing Python Libraries, right now I need to do some weird ModbusTCP stuff, retrieving stored data tables, I know what to do but I can’t do it with the Modbus driver or Kepware etc.

The python library pyModbushttps://github.com/bashwork/pymodbus looks just the job and claims it will work with any python version above 2.3 without any third party dependencies (I don’t need serial).

So the question is: has anyone got it to work?
I’m just trying the the basic example

client = ModbusTcpClient('192.168.2.21') client.write_coil(1, True) result = client.read_coils(1,1) print result.bits[0] client.close()

The client is a working modbus device that will respond monitored with wireshark.
I keep getting the same error

[quote]Traceback (most recent call last):

File “”, line 3, in

File “C:\Users\Chris.ignition\cache\gw127.0.0.1_8088_443_main\C0\pylib\pymodbus\client\common.py”, line 65, in write_coil

return self.execute(request)

File “C:\Users\Chris.ignition\cache\gw127.0.0.1_8088_443_main\C0\pylib\pymodbus\client\sync.py”, line 81, in execute

if not self.connect():

File “C:\Users\Chris.ignition\cache\gw127.0.0.1_8088_443_main\C0\pylib\pymodbus\client\sync.py”, line 143, in connect

self.socket = socket.create_connection((self.host, self.port),

File “C:\Users\Chris.ignition\cache\gw127.0.0.1_8088_443_main\C0\pylib\pymodbus\client\sync.py”, line 143, in connect

TypeError: create_connection() got an unexpected keyword argument ‘source_address’

[/quote]

now part of the ModbusTcpClient class looks like this:

[code]class ModbusTcpClient(BaseModbusClient):
‘’’ Implementation of a modbus tcp client
‘’’

def __init__(self, host='127.0.0.1', port=Defaults.Port,
    framer=ModbusSocketFramer, **kwargs):
    ''' Initialize a client instance

:param host: The host to connect to (default 127.0.0.1)
    :param port: The modbus port to connect to (default 502)
    :param source_address: The source address tuple to bind to (default ('', 0))
    :param framer: The modbus framer to use (default ModbusSocketFramer)

.. note:: The host argument will accept ipv4 and ipv6 hosts
    '''
    self.host = host
    self.port = port
    self.source_address = kwargs.get('source_address', ('', 0))

self.socket = None
    BaseModbusClient.__init__(self, framer(ClientDecoder()), **kwargs)

def connect(self):
    ''' Connect to the modbus tcp server

:returns: True if connection succeeded, False otherwise
    '''

if self.socket: return True
    try:
        address = (self.host, self.port)
            timeout=Defaults.Timeout, source_address=self.source_address)
    except socket.error, msg:
        _logger.error('Connection to (%s, %s) failed: %s' % \
            (self.host, self.port, msg))
        self.close()
    return self.socket != None[/code]

line 143 is

self.socket = socket.create_connection((self.host, self.port), timeout=Defaults.Timeout, source_address=self.source_address)

I can’t see the error, its driving me nuts! I guess its back to school, again :smiley:

anyone feeling bored and want to tackle it, any pointers?

BTW, should I suggest a fourth topic on the 3rd Party Add-ons section of the forum for this type of post?

The error is basically tells you that there not are a “source_address” keyword argument for the function “create_connection”.

From here in the first line, there the following line: import socket which means that use the socket module of the python standard library.

From here, if you find the “create_connection” function descriptions, it’s has the following “signature”: socket.create_connection(address[, timeout[, source_address]]) but on the bottom says the next thing: [quote]Changed in version 2.7: source_address was added.[/quote]

So, maybe it’s not working with any version above 2.3 or so it seems.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

pdibenedetto

Thanks, that’s very useful information, I might be able to get around that.

So deleting the keyword “source_address” for socket.create_connection solves the problem and makes it compatible, the basic read and writes now work

thank you very much.