Question about image management in Designer

Hi,

I have started to develop my project in Ignition and I have reached a stage when I have a lot of images added to image management. This causes slow performance when starting image management in my designer. I noticed that splitting it into smaller folders helps and it starts up faster.

My question is this the only way? Is it possible to speed it up otherwise. These subfolders can also fill up and creating new ones will change the paths in my screens....

My PC fan is running like a blower while running this tool....

Regards
Michal

How many images is "a lot"? What version of Ignition are you using? What CPU are you using? Java Swing has basically no hardware acceleration, so it's all CPU-bound drawing, so building the thumbnails in the Designer might be relatively "expensive", but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about this before, so I'm interested in your environment and what you're doing.

I currently have 140 images placed in image management. The version of Ignition is upgraded but the same thing happens on each currently I have 8.1.36 (b2024010211). I have an AMD EPYC 7313 16-Core Processor CPU. I have 1GB of RAM allocated for the designer and it happens that when running Image managment RAM usage increases heavily. Lately, designer has been shutting down more and more often for me because of this.

Can you send your gateway backup in to support?

It sounds like the thumbnail generation (like I mentioned, a CPU bound task) is running into some pathological case and consuming way too much memory. Since other folks aren't really reporting this being a big issue, I suspect it's something about the number of images, the nature of the images (filesize, file type, dimensions) that's the root of the problem, but getting in touch with support is the best way to find that out for sure.

1 Like

I started adding more images in subfolders to avoid loading everything in the main view. When I use this often it gets annoying. I'll try to do it when I have some free time.

Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

If you have a lot of images, it may be better to store these in your DB as BLOBs and then use:

Image Management is satisfactory sometimes however it slows down as I mentioned. When I have some time I will try to familiarize myself with the tool from the discussion you linked.

Thanks for your suggestions!