Random Component Name Error in Vision Client

Hi everyone,

I keep getting this random error on a vision client. It seems to occur after the vision has sat idle for awhile, or when logging back into the machine where a vision client session is still active (e.g. user still logged in). It doesn’t seem to be harmful, but it is annoying to wake a computer up and see ~1500 errors in a vision client.

The error is:
Component name 'null' is invalid, it is either non-unique, reserved, or has an illegal character.

Picture attached here, no additional details that I could find.

Cheers,
Roger

0 Likes

Ignition Error Component name 'null'

Make sure you don’t have any component names accidentally bound to a tag - because tag reads are async now, it’s more likely that you’ll get a null value for some period of time on window load.

0 Likes

I don’t think that that is the case, but if it was, I would of expected to see an error every so often, but not 1500 of them all at once.

I will give the application a more thorough look to see if that is the reason though. But from a first glance at our current screen and components, I don’t think that happened. Could there be another cause?

Is there a way to get more detailed information or error log on this if it happens so I can pinpoint where it is coming from?

0 Likes

That error message only occurs once in the code (when a component rename event fires) and it’s not new in 8 - I’ve seen it encountered in 7.9, and in all cases, it was due to a binding directly on the name property.
If you shift -> right click a window that you know it’s occured on, I can take a look - it’s sometimes easier to find rogue bindings via text editor, rather than clicking through a complicated window.

1 Like

shift -> right click in the designer or client?

In the designer I see tag diagnostics which doesn’t point anything out for the main screen and 3 side bars present, and the client just lets me close the main window if i want to.

Would you export this to a .zip file and look for it that way?

0 Likes

Shift right click the window object in the project browser - my fault, I wasn’t very clear. You’ll see an option at the bottom to ‘Copy XML to Clipboard’ - that raw XML is different from any other representation of the window you’re going to see, and the only one that will actually give you a chance to see what it contains.

1 Like

Alright, here we go! There are 4 windows that were open, a top, side, and bottom nav, and a main window. I doubt it’s coming from the main window since this happens on other windows, so it would have to come from one of the consistent nav areas.

Main Window:
Current Main Window.txt (3.9 KB)

Bottom Nav:
Bottom Nav.txt (18.8 KB)

Top Nav:
Top Nav.txt (24.8 KB)

Side Nav:
Side Nav.txt (11.1 KB)

I didn’t know you could get XML from shift-clicking a window, pretty neat! I’m going to take a look myself as well.

0 Likes

Hi @roger_larson,

Are you still seeing this issue? We didn’t find anything on our end.

0 Likes

Hey - yeah we are still seeing it. The main problem is that we can’t identify where it is coming from if it is on our side.

Cheers,
Roger

0 Likes

Hi Roger, could you email an export of your project to support@inductiveautomation.com? In the email, please reference this post and include a list of open windows when the error is thrown. Thanks!

0 Likes

Hello,
Did you guys find a solution for this issue? I am facing exactly the same problem.
Thanks

0 Likes

Every single case of this I’ve ever seen has been tied to a binding on the name property of some component, somewhere. If you can’t track it down, I would recommend getting in contact with support.

0 Likes