Raspberry Lock-Up

I will investigate the link you posted. Thanks.

I forgot they came in 8gb models. The ones I am using are 1gb so the 4 or 8 GB should be plenty. My clients show up around 50MB to 220MB each.

I did a google search on Rpi4 freezes and a couple of issues I found was problems with slow sd cards, and having over-clocking on in the config.txt file. I use Samsung Evo 32gb cards, but the post I found used SanDisk Extreme Pro to remedy his freezing.

I am using the Samsung EVO+ 32gb. I’ll look into trying the other. Thanks again. I appreciate your assistance.

Huh. I thought any class 10 card would have been fast enough. But I do like the SanDisks. I’ve also had good luck with the PNY class 10s with my Pi3s.

Maybe it is best to start with the simplest possible case and start eliminating possibilities. For the Pi that locks up overnight, can you start up a client with a window that displays few or no components? That would at least prove that the hardware/OS/JVM are likely not at fault. If that works, you could add 2 or fewer items at a time to the client window and wait for a lockup. It’s a slow way to troubleshoot, but at least it would help to narrow down things.

1 Like

I will try that. The second installation is still on my desk which will give me the opportunity to experiment before it goes on the production floor. I’ve also ordered the memory card that was suggested.

Just FYI: Monitoring memory and cpu on one client now. Memory is only 320Mb out of 8Gb. CPU usage is running around 6%. At least under normal operation.

We’ve always found Raspberry Pis run more reliably for longer if you configure them to mount the SD card as read-only. Normally View nodes don’t need to store anything permanent locally anyway.

There’s a good tutorial here:

The alternative is to boot from USB or an SSD attached via USB, which is possible with a Raspberry Pi 4.

1 Like

Thank you. I will look at this. I am stilling having the Raspberry Pis lock up periodically.

Have you had any problems with using the SanDisk Extreme Pro? I purchased one after your suggestion (this project has been pushed to the far back burner right now, but I still want to solve the issue). I found that the project would not transfer to the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB due to a lack of space.

I haven't tried the Extreme Pros, I use the Evo ones without issue.