Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Raspbian

Hi Guys,

I am trying to run an Ignition client on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running the Raspbian OS.

If I navigate to the gateway home page and try launch a project it downloads the .jnlp file as normal but when i try to open that file (in the file explorer) it just re-downloads it.

I have also tried downloading the native Client Launcher for Linux and extracted using the terminal using the ‘tar -xvf’ command. The extraction works fine but when I go into the new folder (through the file explorer) and try to open the Client Launcher file nothing happens…

The gateway is running on my desktop PC and is version 7.9.10

Any assistance would be appreciated!

This may help you out. :slight_smile:

Do you have a JVM installed? You will need to apt-get install a Java Runtime environment (Try openJDK) and a Java Webstart launcher (something like icedTea-web)

Oscar.

Unfortunately I think the 7.9.10 launcher does not work on ARM. We’ve got a fix for this coming in 7.9.11.

There might be a workaround somewhere here on the forum like downloading a 7.9.9 launcher and using that, because the 7.9.9 launcher does not have an embedded JRE and will instead use the one installed on the system.

I got stuck at step 10, I selected show hidden but I cannot see a folder named lxsession…

I had another gateway running 7.9.9 and was able to download the native client launcher for linux, extract the files, opened clientlauncher.sh and it came up! Now I have to work out if this works on a fresh copy of the OS or if what I did following Jordan’s text file helped this along.

Assuming the default username is being used the path should be:

/home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi

Everything from step 10 and on is to get it to autostart. A lot of mine are 15 feet off the floor, and I’m too lazy to go to each one individually. :laughing:

We are using 7.9.10 with Raspbian. you have to get the legacyclientlauncher.tar.gz from the server. On a linux server it is at /usr/local/bin/ignition/lib/core/launch/

1 Like

we have a 7.9.10
when i try connect via launcher from 7.9.10 i have " ValidationExeption: Unable to communicate with gateway"
we add line from here yet, https://support.inductiveautomation.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/97/2/validationexception-after-upgrading-to-java-8-update-51

launcher form 7.9.9 is return in logs “Java process launch failed with error code 1: Error: Could not find or load main class 256M”
any ideas what else we can try to run on raspberry?

That's indicating an improperly formed command line string. Did you modify a shortcut created by the launchers at all? Try deleting your local .ignition cache, the client launcher executable itself, and redownloading, then going through the steps.

No, I don’t do any modifications, just download, unpack on desktop and start. It let me setup gateway and make project label on desktop. but self project crashed with “ERROR [ClientLauncherFrame ] [13:25:24,255]: Java process launch failed with error code 1: Error: Could not find or load main class 256M

Hi @Alexey.Chekhovskiy

There was a fix applied in the 7.9.10 launchers for this issue.

Thanks,
Jonathan C