Raspberry Pi

Ive been checking for v6 support for headful java, no luck yet. Ive been too busy to do the raspberry pi stuff as of yet. But it is still in the plans, whenever I get spare time. Sorry for the delay,

Model B now ships with 512MB of RAM
Posted on October 15, 2012 by eben
Update: Those of you lucky enough to receive a 512MB Pi this morning can download updated firmware here. For example, download arm384_start.elf and rename it to start.elf on /boot partition. You will then have a 384M/128M memory split.

One of the most common suggestions we’ve heard since launch is that we should produce a more expensive “Model C” version of Raspberry Pi with extra RAM. This would be useful for people who want to use the Pi as a general-purpose computer, with multiple large applications running concurrently, and would enable some interesting embedded use cases (particularly using Java) which are slightly too heavyweight to fit comfortably in 256MB.

The downside of this suggestion for us is that we’re very attached to $35 as our highest price point. With this in mind, we’re pleased to announce that from today all Model B Raspberry Pis will ship with 512MB of RAM as standard. If you have an outstanding order with either distributor, you will receive the upgraded device in place of the 256MB version you ordered. Units should start arriving in customers’ hands today, and we will be making a firmware upgrade available in the next couple of days to enable access to the additional memory.

I’d like to thank our partners, RS Components and element14/Premier Farnell, and the suppliers, particularly Samsung, Sony and Broadcom, for all their help in delivering a smooth transition to the 512MB. I’m looking forward to seeing what you all get up to with your shiny new Pis.

Finally received mine! Alas, it does me no good, since I’ve had absolutely no time to do anything with it. :cry:

Same here! I got mine, set it up so that I could SSH into it, then… did nothing else! When all’s said and done, the Raspi is really only a cheap, low spec computer. Also, if you want to embed it in a project, you have to embed the whole board, rather than just one chip.

I would still be interested in a cheap view node for Ignition, but for small projects interfacing with the real world I find I’m going back to the Arduino.

I agree, there are some neat projects with the gpio on the pi though. Now that u have one I would recommend
a newsletter called the magpi. its a good read.

A Raspberry Pi is about the same price as an Ethernet shield right now. I think we’ll see a bunch of projects using an Arduino to extend the GPIO of the Raspberry Pi until it gets a little more umph under the hood.

I just bought a number of Arduino Ethernet shields on Ebay for about $11 - bargain! We’ve now got an Arduino working as a Modbus TCP slave, which is handy for testing.

My plan is to start simulating processes using some python magic, a RaspPi, and pyModbus. Can’t run Ignition efficiently yet, but that doesn’t mean I can’t use it. Interfacing with an Arduino for more GPIO means I can put meaningful buttons and potentiometers to control things.

Looking to develop mine alongside a Parallax Propeller… if I can ever get back to it! :imp:

Sorry to Necro an old thread, but has anyone revisited this since Oracle Java was released for the Pi?

raspberrypi.org/archives/4920

I’ll be honest, I have not. Unfortunately, work gets in the way of the fun stuff! May be about time to dig it back out and play!

I have tried using a raspberry pi as a client with icedtea and it worked but I found it unusably slow. I haven’t tried it overclocked. I have also tried it on a beaglebone black and it is almost usable as a client. Both worked out of the box with a Siemens touchscreen I had. It uses a generic ELO driver. They may be slow but for $35 and $45 they are impressive. It was funny to have a $35 computer attached to a $1200 industrial monitor.