Read a file from windows PC where is behand NAT device

Hello everyone. I want to read a log file from windows OS PC where is behind NAT device. Briefly, NAT device has 2 VLANs and one of them is 192.168.x.x and other one is 10.x.x.x and I created a NAT source and destination rules. the pc has 1 internal IP address with 192.168.x.x and 1 external IP address with 10.x.x… and I can get ping from its external 10.x.x.x IP address. so I have now IP address with 10.x.x.x. then I want to read LOG file from the PC with scripting. so how could I do that ? When I want to read PLC behind the NAT, it is easy because we have driver. But what should I do to read LOG file ?

Create a mapped drive and edit the ignition.conf to make the mapped drive available to Ignition

our ignition is working on cloud of company. it means that I cannot touch ignition.conf file. at the same time, lets say I have a lot of coumputers with so many NAT device, so it does not seem to be a good solution. I am a bit confused

Vision or Perspective? Since you tagged it with both 8.0 and 7.9 I'm assuming vision.

Is this PC running the Gateway locally on it?
Is this PC running a client?

This doesn't mean you have access to the file system. And while you personally may have the permissions to access the file system, the user which Ignition is under may not.

I really do not know whether it is vision or perspective. How could I understand which one I am using? we have ignition server and I have designer session in my pc which is connected to server. The PC is running on locally as a client.

Yes it does not mean. Briefly, We have internal vlan with IPs 192.168.x.x and external Vlan IPs with 10.x.x.x and this pc is located into internal Vlan with 192.168.x.x IP address and PC is connected to NAT device and with NAT device rule, I can ping the PC from external vlan with 10.x.x.x IP address and in the NAT rule we do not have any restrictions in regarding with protocol, etc.

So, lets say I want to read text file from PC, firstly should I share this text file from windows OS on the network? or What should I do ? I am really a bit unfamilier that sorry in advance.

If you are using 7.9.X then your only option is vision.

If you are using 8.X then you can be using either vison or perspective. Probably the easiest way would be to see if you are working on views or windows in the designer.

The next way would be to look at where and how the client runs.

The reason this matters is because Perspective is designed to run in a browser and so has restrictions towards accessing and using files on the client system.

Again, this doesn't mean you have access to the file system. Being able to ping a network address only means that you can reach the address, it doesn't mean that you have authorization to access files on the system. In order to do that the Ignition service user must be able to authenticate on the system where the file is stored.

Knowing that you can reach the PC over the network is a good start, but now that you know you can this is no longer a question of connectivity but one of security.

There are a couple of things that we need to know to answer this question.

1. Are you using Vision or Perspective
  2. Is the file you are trying to access on the same system as the Ignition Gateway

I would strongly suggest that you get a firm grasp on how your system works and what you are working with, not only will it help you but you will be able to ask more pointed questions and get better answers from us.

Inductive automation provides a fairly comprehensive set of video's for this, they are pretty short and will answer many of your questions. Inductive University Course List - Learn Ignition Free

for that question,
it is my designer app and I want to write a script to reach PC. I have not used perspective or vision tabs right here yet. I am reading PLC (Siemens S7) tags and doing some operations by using databases. so that does that mean which one I am using I do not know (perspective or vision).

for that question, the file is in the PC where our PLCs located. Ignition gateway and the place where PC and PLCs are located are different VLANs but connected with NAT device. so that I can read tag from PLC which is located in the same place with PC thanks to NAT device and NAT rules. and I want to get data from PC as well just like reading PLC.
it is our network structure.
I wonder that what is IGNITION SERVICE for authentication ?
I am looking forward for answers :slight_smile: