Read Timeout when trying to load a moderately large project over slightly slow internet connection

I’m trying to load a decently sized project in the designer (20MB? That’s approximately what the “Loading Project” dialog shows as a maximum when it occasionally succeeds) over a ~30Mbps home internet connection (although the actual speed is anyone’s guess, as is usually the case). The “Loading Project” dialog shows an approximate maximum of 500kb/s as its download speed. After it gets ~4MB in, loading the project fails with a Read Timeout error:

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Read timed out
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:543)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:283)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:278)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:945)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.DTGatewayInterface.loadProject(DTGatewayInterface.java:358)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.project.ProjectOpenTask.run(ProjectOpenTask.java:26)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.ProgressDialog$TaskRunner.run(ProgressDialog.java:364)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
	at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.net.www.http.ChunkedInputStream.fastRead(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.net.www.http.ChunkedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$HttpInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface$ThroughputMeasuringInputStream.read(GatewayInterface.java:582)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityManager$RewindableInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.skipChar(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:485)
	... 7 more

Ignition v8.1.12 (b2021111810)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.11

It occasionally does succeed, but most of the time I get this error. I suspect it has something to do with the designer not properly loading projects over slower internet connections.

Did you verify the speed the speed with something like [https://www.speedtest.net/]

This issue is persisting and occurs for coworkers of mine who have better internet. There are two projects on this gateway, one of which is a smaller inheritable project which opens no problem. The larger ~22MB project consistently fails to open with the read timeout error at pretty much exactly 1MB into the download.

EDIT: I’ve also tried tethering to my phone instead of using my home wifi and the issue persists, so it’s not my specific internet connection.

The exact speed of my internet connection does not seem to be relevant to the issue as it happens for coworkers of mine as well as when I tether to my phone.