Reading Excel data into Ignition

I am looking at importing data from an old Excel-based Tracking system into Ignition.
the solution has to read Excel files in native format, preferably while the the spreadsheet is open on another computer if possible, because I need to leave the old system in place and running as I migrate to my new system over time.
I have seen several topics similar to this on this forum (reading Excel Data), but the resolutions are not good for me.(exporting to a CSV file, adding a new module, or building one of my own using the SDK)
I think I should be able to use the python module “pylightxl” but I don’t seem to be able to get that to work in side of Ignition Scripting.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Using Apache POI, which is now bundled with Ignition.

1 Like

Hi, looks like ‘‘util.printDataSet.’’ is probably a user custom script called into the code? Looking to do the same thing, I want to import data from a excel ‘’.xls’’ or ‘‘xlsx’’.
Thanks for your help!!

That thread also links to the printDataset function, but has nothing to do with making the dataset itself. :wink:

Hi!
Thanks found everything! Wasn’t able to see the whole thread. :sweat_smile:

Hey Jordan, I’m stuck on this error. Are you able tell what i’m doing wrong?

The cell you are trying to get data on is returning None (null in Python-ese)

Figured it out thanls!

1 Like

Hi! Is it possible to do the same for Google Excel? I created a database to make it convenient for me to work using Google excel

@Maxim_Drentom
Are you trying to import information from Google sheets into a database, or are you trying to write data to Google sheets from ignition using a database as an intermediary?

Hi c.turmel
I am facing the similar issue that you posted AttritubuteError:'NoneType' object has no attribute 'getCellType'.
Can you please suggest how did you figured it out.

You will need to handle a null in the code. The error will tell you what line the issue is on. One suggestion is only allow the code to execute if the value is not null.

@Divya_Chorge How to fix this issue. I'm facing the same issue.

1 Like