Reading Tags Data

I'd like to read the data in my tags from external sources, such as writing a Python script in VS Code or Jupiter Notebook that can read the data in my tags in Ignition. Is this possible? Until now, I have been sending tag data via MQTT transmission to other tools. Reading from the tools will be possible in the opposite direction.

The supported method would be to code a web API with the WebDev module. The jython you write for that can access tags on an external request's behalf and return the data in various forms (up to you).

For a Jupiter notebook, you'd have to expose your Ignition gateway on the public web. Not a good idea unless you are familiar with mitigating the security risks.

With the WebDev module can i be able to see my data in VSCode or jupiter notebook direcly.

You mean will you be able to use the tag values from Ignition, will you be able to use that in your VSCode/Jupitor notebook? Sure if you code up a doGet endpoint and then in your VSCode/Jupiter Notebook request from it. As Phil mentioned if this is across the web and not on a local network though you will have to put your gateway on the web and if you're not being careful then anyone can access these endpoints, or your gateway projects if you don't have sufficient security setup, or your gateway itself if you're using a simple username/password.

Don't put your gateway on the web to try to make this work if you don't have to, at least not without proper preparation.

1 Like

HTTP ERROR 402 Payment Required
getting the above error while checking the response for doGet endpoint.

402 is the cheeky HTTP status code we return if your trial is expired.

2 Likes