Recommend Ignition Version Update Frequency

Hello, I'm a pretty green user of Ignition. Just took a new role at my company and come from a mechanical engineering background, so sorry in advance for any dumb questions.

We are currently on version 8.1.21 and I see 8.1.40 is the latest version. Are there any recommendations or best practices regarding frequency to push an update. Obviously if something in the update is pertinent to us we would. But primarily asking from the standpoint of becoming "too out of date".

Some history, my company is transitioning from a different controls platform and rev control was not maintained. At some point it because too much of an undertaking to get current and we were frozen in time. Trying to avoid this outcome under my watch.

Thanks!
Andrew

I recommend my clients upgrade in the following situations:

• Encountering known bugs with released fixes,

• Wanting newly released features,

• Announced security fixes, and

• Pro-actively to new Major versions (like next year's v8.1 => v8.3) when the new one has settled a bit.

For small jumps, I make an image backup of the complete machine, and grab a regular gateway backup, then upgrade in place during a maintenence window.

For bigger or riskier upgrades, I stand up a dev copy of the gateway, simulating as much of the peripherals as practical, and do a trial upgrade there first.

5 Likes