Record Number of Perspective Sessions

What is the most number of simultaneous perspective sessions you have seen? Answers can be from ignition developers or IA staff from testing results.

Talking about on a single front end gateway.

Thanks,

Nick

1 Like

This is a bit of a loaded question because page complexity and data needs will make a big difference.

I asked QA what they do and the answer was they don't look for a max, but they load test up to 100 concurrent sessions and if it fails before that it's a regression.

A quick poll in support says they've seen 140-150 sessions. I pinged sales engineering but no answer yet.

Hopefully others will chime in.

2 Likes

Just interested to see. Reason we are asking is because we are rolling out a huge amount of screens to show performance to plan data to floor associates at the dock doors and at present we are up to 125 sessions and don't seem any appreciable strain on the gateway so we feel like we can go a lot more.

This thread could be helpful to someone down the line when they are considering how many sessions is possible.

Nick

5 Likes

it really depends, we have one server that maxes out at around 50 sessions , but the main screen there is like thousands of points of data updating every second, and a couple dozen flex repeaters, and a bit of scripting on every element, so its a heavy page

we have another server that has not so intense a project, 100 values or so with most of the work being done by tags, its at 160 sessions right now and usage is around 20%

1 Like

Yeah, I once saw a system that was only serving 3-5 sessions but it was slow because some of their in house people would drag/drop all of the tags from the PLC and trend a lot of them. I suggested they don't do that to improve performance because they were having problems. The one engineer got back to me and said he removed ~50k of the tags they were trending.

I was surprised it ran as well as it did to be honest. Regardless, load is relative to everything the gateway is doing. You just have to monitor things as you make changes to get an idea of what the system can handle.

Out of curiosity, what's the server spec?

Just an update, today we reached a new record (for us) at 165 sessions:

We still feel like there is room to run on the front end gateway:

Nick

1 Like

Here is the spec for our front end:

Nick

Also, in relation to the topic of screen complexity vs. session count, the screen which is most populous is the shipping lane set screen. It is meant to give those who load the trucks visibility into the status of the equipment which directly impacts their work and performance to plan.

One of the key principles of this screen is that by making the volume targets more visible, they will be more likely to be met. Data quantity and size wise, it is a relatively simple screen.

The details are very simple and cartoon like so that the colors can be seen from afar (usually 5-10 meters away)

Nick

2 Likes