Redundant Gateway and dual NIC

I have a couple of machines I plan to make redundant gateways. They have many NICs and will sit on two networks (one for PLC communication and one for clients and database access). I connected the two directly together using a crossover cable to provide a dedicated redundancy channel. Redundancy now works, but clients can’t connect.

Using the java console, I can see what is happening. The clients are trying to connect on the IP address that I am using for the direct connection between the servers. Is there a hidden configuration option somewhere that allows you to specify the IP address to be used for client access? I figured this would be a good practice to segment redundancy traffic away from client traffic. It is the typical design for redundancy with Wonderware and GE products.

In case this isn’t clear, I will spell things out a little more:
NIC 1 has an address in the 192.168.19.x /255.255.255.0 subnet.
NIC 2 has an address in the 192.168.2.x /255.255.255.0 subnet.
NIC 1 is connected to the network on which the clients reside.
NIC 2 has a direct connection between the two gateways.
Once the redundancy settings are updated with the manual NIC 2 binding, the clients start looking for the gateway on the NIC 2 address.

Thanks for any help.

Look under the Network Settings section of the following link. You can set Autodetect Network Interface and Autodetect HTTP Address to false and manually specifiy your settings - the .19.x addresses in your case.

inductiveautomation.com/support/ … ttings.htm

I know why you might use a different network for database or server communication, but I’m not following why you would use a dedicated interface with a crossover cable between 2 ignition servers. What would this accomplish?

We’ve been using a crossover cable for the redundancy channel so we don’t have the added point of failure in a network switch.

Hi Nathan,
Duh, I missed the HTTP address manual assignment. One question: I know that most config settings are made on the master. When I enter the manual HTTP addresses, should I enter addresses for both the master and the backup on the master configuration and on the backup configuration, or just enter one on each (master on master and backup on backup)?
Thanks!

Hi,

The redundancy settings are special, in that they are one of the few things not replicated. So, enter the master settings on the master, and the backup settings on the backup.

Regards,

Roger, thanks!