Remote Debugging with IntelliJ

Hi,

Using IntelliJ Community Edition 2016.1.1 (should it matter)

Followed the instructions on the website - https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/SE/Debugging+in+IntelliJ - seemed alright. Tried to debug a module and received:

Error launching application.
RuntimeException: The client version or cached module versions are not compatible with the gateway version. Please re-launch the client.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Roderick

The documentation has been updated: docs.inductiveautomation.com:84 … n+IntelliJ

edit: seems this error is different than what you reported in your support ticket. Not sure exactly what’s gong on…

What versions of Ignition are involved here?

Thanks for updating the Documents.

Using:
Ignition 7.8.2 (Developer Mode)
IntelliJ Ultimate 2016.2.1

I tried the new instructions and got much farther. Received the following error:

Starting class: com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientLaunchHook
INFO [ClientLaunchHook-Thread-3] Ignition Client v7.8.0 (b2015101321)
INFO [ClientLocalizationManager-Thread-3] Translation term database initialized successfully
INFO [GatewayConnectionManager-Thread-3] Initializing gateway connection with URLs: [127.0.01:8088/main]
java.lang.RuntimeException: The client version or cached module versions are not compatible with the gateway version. Please re-launch the client.
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientGatewayConnection.onVersionMismatch(ClientGatewayConnection.java:218)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.AbstractGatewayConnection.connect(AbstractGatewayConnection.java:290)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientLaunchHook.setup(ClientLaunchHook.java:222)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.steps.StartupStep.run(StartupStep.java:113)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.AbstractStepRunner.run(AbstractStepRunner.java:32)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Disconnected from the target VM, address: ‘127.0.0.1:59144’, transport: ‘socket’

Process finished with exit code 1

Add another JVM startup parameter: -Dscadarail.version=dev

Unfortunately when launching the client more issues are going to popup… basically none of the module hooks for any of the client modules you probably have installed are on the classpath right now.

I think we’re going to have to add some “base” launcher Maven poms to the Ignition SDK so that Ignition module authors’ own launchers can point to the base launcher to get all the necessary dependencies.

edit:

I updated the launchers in the docs and the component example on Github to include dependencies on vision-client-api and vision-designer-api. I think this at least lets you launch clients and designers with the vision module. Unfortunately there are no published client-scope artifacts for the other modules right now, so they’ll have to be uninstalled in order to remote debug until we can implement this base launcher idea in the next SDK release.

OK, that all worked.

Thanks for updating all of this. Will let you know if I come across any issues.

Thanks Again!