Report Designer crashes Java

I think i have a decently complex report/ report scren setup and… When i open my report window in desiger or the client my java freezes because it cant keep up. (in the task manager the java process ramps way up and stays up.) and will give the error"JavaTM SE bianary is not responding" and shut down the process.

Errors recieved in the console:
Warning (Table RPG): RPGX: GC overhead limit exceeded
Warning (Table RPG): Performing simple RPG instead.
Exception in thread “GatewayConnection-thread-1” Exception in thread “Thread-685” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.addConditionWaiter(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.awaitNanos(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.DelayQueue.take(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue.take(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue.take(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)

GC overhead limit exceeded
Exception in thread “Thread-682” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
Exception in thread “Thread-679” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread “Client_Id_Keepalive” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread “Thread-674” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread “Thread-688” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

Any thoughts?

Try allocating more memory to the Ignition Designer. You can do that by raising the designer memory in the Gateway Configuration web page under Gateway Settings.

Alright I tried that as well as upping the client memory max in the designer properties, with no effect. I raised the ram amount, but its not using much as it is. It seems java cant ‘put out’ enough for the report designer?

I recommend emailing a backup of the window to support@inductiveautomation.com.

Also - what version of Java, Ignition, and OS are you running?

Any update on this? I am seeing a similar error.

I’ve seen it a couple of times. In all cases, it involved complex reports where people went back and forth between design and preview. Each time you do that, the reporting engine is generating your report from scratch and making a big PDF of the report and Java’s garbage collection doesn’t always keep up. The Designer appears frozen, although I’ve often had it come back to life in a (seemingly interminable) number of minutes. (10+)

My experience has been that if I allocate plenty of memory and I’m using a powerful machine for my Designer, I don’t have this problem. How much memory depends on the reports you are doing. Mine are often simple, since I’m testing individual features, so 1GB is plenty. But I’ve seen complex multi-page reports choke and need more. Also, I’ve seen no freezes when I’m working on my quad-core hyperthreaded MBP, while the same report and memory settings will choke on my old dual-core desktop Mac. My guess is that the extra cores may give the garbage collection a better chance to happen.

1 Like