Report download xls

when i try to download report in xls format from the report viewer on button click, i am receiving following error

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “event:actionPerformed”, line 16, in

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFSimpleShape cannot be cast to org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFTextbox

caused by GatewayException: org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFSimpleShape cannot be cast to org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFTextbox
caused by ClassCastException: org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFSimpleShape cannot be cast to org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFTextbox

Ignition v7.9.9 (b2018081621)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_201

Can you send this in to support?

Same thing here when right clicking on a report and selecting Save as XLS. Happens on 7.9.10 and 7.9.13. Also happens when I script a button with component.saveAsXls(“Report”) function. Unfortunately, xls isn’t an option for system.report.executeAndDistribute(…) function so I don’t know of any other way to get an Excel version of the report. Has anyone been able to get this to work?

As a follow up. We were able to get the exporting to work correctly by removing any “Line” shapes and any rogue “Text” shapes that that were empty. “Text” shapes seem to export as text box objects in Excel. Whenever possible, try putting text shapes inside the header of a Table (not Simple Table…that doesn’t work either) and it will place them inside a cell in Excel. Unfortunately, this requires to have 2 versions of the same report…one that looks good as a PDF, and one that will export nicely as an Excel spreadsheet.