Reporting module faulted

I created reports that worked perfectly in Vision and when sent immediately to email via the Report Schedule Actions tab but would not work on a schedule. They appeared up in the “Upcoming Scheduled Executions” but not in the list of past ones. I restarted the gateway, but the Reporting Module fails to start. Here are the fault details:

java.lang.Exception: Exception while starting up module “com.inductiveautomation.reporting”.
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.modules.ModuleManagerImpl$LoadedModule.startup(ModuleManagerImpl.java:2355)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.modules.ModuleManagerImpl.startup(ModuleManagerImpl.java:396)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.startupInternal(IgnitionGateway.java:1116)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.redundancy.RedundancyManagerImpl.startup(RedundancyManagerImpl.java:275)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.initRedundancy(IgnitionGateway.java:664)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.lambda$initInternal$0(IgnitionGateway.java:602)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$ThrowableCatchingRunnable.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:518)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.inductiveautomation.reporting.gateway.scheduler.ReportScheduleRunner.addSchedulesFromResource(ReportScheduleRunner.java:91)
at com.inductiveautomation.reporting.gateway.scheduler.ReportScheduleRunner.startup(ReportScheduleRunner.java:78)
at com.inductiveautomation.reporting.gateway.scheduler.ReportScheduleRunner.startup(ReportScheduleRunner.java:62)
at com.inductiveautomation.reporting.gateway.ReportingGatewayHook$ReportingProjectLifecycle.onStartup(ReportingGatewayHook.java:557)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycle.onStartup(ProjectLifecycle.java:38)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycle.startup(AbstractLifecycle.java:18)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycleFactory$1.maybeStartLifecycle(ProjectLifecycleFactory.java:230)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycleFactory$1.lambda$projectAdded$0(ProjectLifecycleFactory.java:122)
at java.base/java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycleFactory$1.projectAdded(ProjectLifecycleFactory.java:122)
at java.base/java.util.ArrayList.forEach(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycleFactory.onStartup(ProjectLifecycleFactory.java:43)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycle.startup(AbstractLifecycle.java:18)
at com.inductiveautomation.reporting.gateway.ReportingGatewayHook.startup(ReportingGatewayHook.java:161)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.modules.ModuleManagerImpl$LoadedModule.startup(ModuleManagerImpl.java:2349)
… 12 more

8.0.0-rc1 (b2019040123)
Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.2

Did you notice the formal release of 8.0.0 this week?

Yes, thanks for the heads up. Just after posting, I updated the module only and then the entire installation soon after - neither of which resolved the issue. I removed the report schedules, and the issue persisted. Disabling the project or rolling it back are the only workarounds to successfully restarting the module.

Are you working with support on this? I see an identical stack trace from them this morning.

Yes, I am now. It hadn’t struck me yet during my original post that we were in the formal release and support phase. I reached out after attempting the above updates.

No worries. I just didn’t want to duplicate efforts if that was the case, but I didn’t want to ignore you if you weren’t the same person. I’ve messaged Roberto and I’ll be working with him to get this resolved as soon as he gets into the office.

1 Like