Reports and Excel

I was wondering if there was a way to show data from Excel spreadsheets. One of our customers wishes to display both tables and charts based upon pre-existing Excel report data that they’re generating.

I could duplicate things and store historical data on SOME of the PLC IO points in SQL, but the problem is that there is a lot of data that is entered in by hand, and that’s probably not going to change. I can’t ask the customer to enter it in both in the old system, and in this new system (just for monitoring purposes), so that’s why I’m hoping there’s some kind of way to hook into Excel data.

You can use the ActiveX module to show Excel spreadsheets inside of your window. You can download the ActiveX module from the downloads section of the website. One of the components of the ActiveX module is Excel. Just drag that into your window and point it to your file.

Thanks; the last time I asked, I was told there was no way, so I’m glad the ActiveX option is available. I’ve downloaded and installed it, and it appears you can grab cells and move things around. Is there a ‘read only’ option some place?

I’ll also play around with the path option; perhaps combing this with the file browser will allow me to pick and choose which spreadsheet to display.

You can combine the file explorer with the Excel component by binding the path to the selected file path. You have to make the file read-only I believe so you can’t make any changes.