ReportViewer Unexpected Server Response

I have created a new report. I created a new view in Perspective and dropped a ReportViewer on it and set the “source” property to the path of the new report (by “copy path” in context menu). When attempting to display it I get “Unexpected server response (500) while retrieving PDF”. I’ve followed the instructions in the videos as far as I can see.

Check your gateway logs for details about what went wrong.
Also, what version of Ignition is this?

Thank you for your response. I’m using version 8.1.7.

This is what’s coming up in the log:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.Win32FontManager

at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at java.desktop/sun.font.FontManagerFactory$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.desktop/sun.font.FontManagerFactory.getInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.desktop/java.awt.Font.getFont2D(Unknown Source)

at java.desktop/java.awt.Font.canDisplay(Unknown Source)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.text.RMFontFile.canDisplay(RMFontFile.java:327)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.text.RMFont.canDisplay(RMFont.java:295)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.text.RMXStringUtils.getRepresentableString(RMXStringUtils.java:158)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.text.RMXString.getRepresentableString(RMXString.java:659)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.text.RMTextLayout.layoutText(RMTextLayout.java:136)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.text.RMTextLayout.layout(RMTextLayout.java:120)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMTextShape.getTextLayout(RMTextShape.java:788)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMTextShape.computePrefHeight(RMTextShape.java:859)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMShape.getPrefHeight(RMShape.java:2255)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMShape.getPrefHeight(RMShape.java:2244)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMTableRowRPG.computePrefHeight(RMTableRowRPG.java:470)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMShape.getPrefHeight(RMShape.java:2255)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMShape.getBestHeight(RMShape.java:2301)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMShape.getBestHeight(RMShape.java:2294)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMShape.setBestHeight(RMShape.java:2308)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMTableRowRPG.rpgAll(RMTableRowRPG.java:58)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMTableRPG.addRows(RMTableRPG.java:267)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMTableRPG.rpgTable(RMTableRPG.java:158)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMTableRPG.rpgAll(RMTableRPG.java:71)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMTable.rpgAll(RMTable.java:523)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.ReportOwner.rpg(ReportOwner.java:178)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMParentShape.rpgChildren(RMParentShape.java:597)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMPage.rpgChildren(RMPage.java:696)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMParentShape.rpgAll(RMParentShape.java:584)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMPage.rpgAll(RMPage.java:659)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMDocument.rpgChildren(RMDocument.java:1089)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMParentShape.rpgAll(RMParentShape.java:584)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.ReportOwner.generateReport(ReportOwner.java:169)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMDocument.generateReport(RMDocument.java:1065)

at com.inductiveautomation.rm.shape.RMDocument.generateReport(RMDocument.java:1033)

at com.inductiveautomation.reporting.gateway.ReportingGatewayHook.executeReport(ReportingGatewayHook.java:286)

at com.inductiveautomation.reporting.gateway.perspective.ReportFetch.fetch(ReportFetch.java:44)

at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.comm.FetchableCacheImpl.fetch(FetchableCacheImpl.java:31)

at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.comm.Routes.handleFetch(Routes.java:1500)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.dataroutes.Route.service(Route.java:252)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.dataroutes.RouteGroupImpl.service(RouteGroupImpl.java:61)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.dataroutes.RouteGroupCollectionServlet.serviceInternal(RouteGroupCollectionServlet.java:59)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.dataroutes.AbstractRouteGroupServlet.service(AbstractRouteGroupServlet.java:38)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsyncServlet.service(ServletHolder.java:1391)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:760)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:590)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1607)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1297)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:485)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1577)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1212)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)

at org.eclipse.jetty.rewrite.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:322)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:59)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:500)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:270)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:103)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:388)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)

What OS is running where the gateway is installed? Did you manipulate the JVM the gateway is using at all, or are you using the embedded java? (If you have no idea what that means, you’re using the embedded Java).

It’s running on Windows Server 2016. I’m just using the embedded Java. It’s a totally default install.

Hm, can you try a simple uninstall & reinstall?
The error is saying that a core class in the Java runtime can’t be found, which should be impossible if the installation went correctly.

I will. I can’t today. I’m about to present the software to the company. I can just show them a report in the Designer for now. I will try later. Thank you.

1 Like

A fresh install fixed the issue. Thank you.