Restart Gateway from Vision Client

What is the scripting necessary to have button in the vision client to restart the gateway?

There’s no direct script that can do this. You would need to use a gateway message handler that called out to an external executable that ran the (platform dependent) service restart action.

Curious why you would want to restart from a client.

We have run into situations where ignition requires a restart to resolve an issue. When logging into Linux via SSH to restart, elevated privileges (sudo) are required. This ability is limited to a select group due to security concerns with admin/root permissions on a server. We can better manage access via a vision client and it meets security guidelines.

Alternatively, even from the Gateway web page would be acceptable.

I would have started with this. I'm zero help with Linux, but @pturmel can definitely help. I'd also try and fix the reason to need to restart in the first place.

So, in this situation, I would recommend calling the gwcmd tool from a gateway message handler. The client would trigger this by calling system.util.sendMesssage() from a suitably secured button’s actionPerformed event.

1 Like

Use EAM module. You can run a restart task from scripting. (system.eam.runTask - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation)

You will need to write the bash and the execute it with system.util.execute - Ignition User Manual 8.0 - Ignition Documentation (inductiveautomation.com)