Rookie mistake

Here’s one for you, and you get to be amused at my expense! Today I made a rookie mistake…

It was my own fault, and I was in a bit of a hurry, not paying attention to my cable markings, and plugged both end of an ethernet cable into the same switch. For those not already wincing at that, this creates a broadcast storm. :blush:

Luckily I knew right where the problem was when things rapidly started to go south. And I can take comfort in knowing that IT’s managed switches didn’t cap it either. Took down everything.

Yes, I fessed up to it. And also told them that i can take this facility down any time I wanted to-- and occasionally when I didn’t want to as well! :laughing:

Moral of the story: don’t do that. It’s painful. Not like sticking your face in a fan, but you know what I mean.

Yeah, been there. Not for a whole facility, though. In my big company past, I learned to do little isolated networks per system w/ routers tying them together. In some industries, a few minutes loss of control can mean hours of lost production.