RSLinx and Ignition

Can RsLinx and Ignition live on the same computer? I already have Ignition installed on the computer but I would like to connect to my plcs using the same computer just for downloading programs via rslogix

Have someone have done this before?

Thanks

Ooh! Me! Me! I've done it! (sorry, just spent the day with my wife's first grade classroom.) :smiley:

In fact, I use Linx Gateway, and separate the PLC network from the "network at large". Works great!

a bit OT: Trying to make plans for doing the same sort of thing with other lines here. Some of our infrastructure is getting stretched because more thing are hanging off the network than what our IT guys had figured. Of course this is the same group that gave us a 250GB file server. :unamused:

It sure can yes.

Jordan, Could you separate the various traffic into vlans and use a vlan aware nic to allow your multifunction machines to use a single nic instead of multiple? Not sure if that’s the kind of solution you need, but hey!

Yeah, I thought of that, but I'm trying to reduce the traffic on the physical layer of the network, not just save on IPs. Managed switches help, but I'd still like to have that extra separation. For the most part everything-- and I mean everything-- is on the same physical layer. :unamused:

Oh… ew. Yeah, that’s less ideal.

If its running new fiber that is the problem, You could look into Cisco’s CWDM devices to multiplex multiple wavelengths into one fiber.

We couldn’t get our provider to lease us any extra so we used this tech to increase our ‘fibers’ by 8x.

[quote=“Dravik”]If its running new fiber that is the problem, You could look into Cisco’s CWDM devices to multiplex multiple wavelengths into one fiber.

We couldn’t get our provider to lease us any extra so we used this tech to increase our ‘fibers’ by 8x.[/quote]

This sounds like cool tech. Never heard of it before.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6575/product_data_sheet0900aecd8029d01b_ps708_Products_Data_Sheet.html
One example of it

I passed the idea to my CTO. Don’t know if we’ll do any development with it, but is it cool (IMHO)

Well it seems that is ok to go and install it…
I will post when tried that.

Thanks guys