Run Vision on Mobile Device

I know the latest release of Ignition replaced mobile module with Perspective, does anyone know how to implement Vision on mobile device?

If you simply need mobile Vision access, remote into a host computer from the mobile device using RDC, GoToMy PC, or some other equivalent software.

1 Like

Start by porting standard java with Swing to your mobile OS. Figure out how to tie mobile OS UI functionality to standard Swing events. Have the implementation lie to java applications to hide any incompatibilities. Ask IA to test on your custom JRE. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I've heard of people using Apache Guacamole for this.

https://guacamole.apache.org/

As Phil alluded to... The best answer is "you don't", because Java Swing, the technology that Vision relies on, was never [1] made available on mobile devices.

1. with rare exceptions that never really worked ↩ī¸Ž

1 Like

quote="PGriffith, post:4, topic:93374"]
is "you don't"
[/quote]

Spoilsport. I was hoping the OP would actually embark on this. :grimacing:

So Vision can live forever. :angry:

5 Likes

Cant you install linux on a mobile device? xd
No idea btw xd
i know i have used emulators on android before, but that was for something else.
Although eh they worked kinda bad/low (& battery consuming), so just a streaming service to a desktop would probably be better

1 Like

Some. But then it really isn't a "mobile" device any more.

I believe a company we worked for used rugged linux tablets.
But yeah those are just like a laptop i guess,

1 Like

I'll leave this right here... :smirk:

2 Likes

A bit of searching around unearthed this thing:

Not sure it would work for this application, but if it did it would be easier than rewriting Swing from scratch :grin:

1 Like

PFft.

Quote from their website:

Let's make the world more open and free to use.

Quote from their GitHub repo with no meaningful source code:

Are we open-source? :open_book::unlock:

Yes but no. Andronix is partially open-source. All the free distro tar files and the shell scripts are available on our GitHub repository. While all the paid things, like the actual Android app and all the files concerning Andronix Modded OS are close-source for obvious reasons.

what are the obvious reasons again?

4 Likes

Note bringing it to a browser will again result in the same limitations perspective has, like accessing device features/files

2 Likes

Hence, the :smirk:

I'd figure they don't want to lose sales but it seems each paid thing is $2 so I really don't get it.

Not saying they can't make money off the project, just that at such a low price there's certainly ways to match that income even if they were to release the source instead.

I'm fine with choosing not to release source code... just own it :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I agree, and especially when the product is so cheap and decently documented I'm not complaining.

It feels really misleading to have just marginally related utility scripts and things on a repo named after the product itself.

At least the Github link says "Source Code?". The question mark leaves it nice and ambiguous so you can't say they lied, exactly :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like