Running Ignition v8.1 on Windows XP

I’ve been investigating how to run an Ignition v8.1 vision client on windows xp but I haven’t been able to find a solution yet. Due to licensing issues I am stuck on windows xp 32-bit for the foreseeable future. I tried a test perspective view in a google chrome browser but it didn’t load. Any ideas?

If you can find a JDK 11 that will run on Windows XP 32-bit then some variation of this may work: https://support.inductiveautomation.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047576471-Ignition-8-32-bit-Vision-Clients

Good luck.

1 Like

Yeah I already have the 32-bit work around setup on several RPis and Windows 7 boxes. Unfortunately, there aren’t any JDK 11 builds for XP that I can find. I’m definitely in bad spot on this one :smiling_face_with_tear:

Upgrading the licensing on these machines to get to Windows 7 costs $37k each and we have two.

:astonished: Even Windows 7 is out of support. Time to switch to Linux?

2 Likes

Or running the Windoze XP instances in Linux KVM guests, allowing everything other than the peculiarly licensed software to run in the host.

2 Likes

Another layer of complexity is the machines have a PCI card for a camera system so if a VM can work, it would have to allow PCI passthrough too.

1 Like

KVM has excellent support for PCI passthrough.

( Cognex VisionPro? )

No, some proprietary camera system for a CNC fabric cutter. The camera takes pictures of the fabric pattern as it cuts to compensate for any bows/skews in the fabric design. I will give KVM a try, thanks!