S7-1200 to 8.1 then 8.3

I've done Siemens S7-400 to Ignition but never TIA 1200 or 1500.

What are my options for getting data into 8.1.43?

How will this change with the native driver in 8.3?

Do I need a paid-for version of TIA to upload this code to see what registers I need to access?

I would like to avoid KepWare as I am planning on a Linux-based server.

TIA, excuse the pun =)

• Ignition driver (declare a device in Config / OPC UA / Device connections) and access following what written in the doc (Siemens | Ignition User Manual)
  • OPC UA (configure OPC UA server on PLC and connect to it via Config / OPC Client / OPC Connections)

If you are using the Ignition driver, you have to know the address you need (no tag browsing) and I think you can't use optimized datablocs
If you are using OPC UA, you can browse tags and use optimized datablocs. But if you are using a S7 1200 like in the picture, you have to do stuff either in TIA or with SiOME (https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/109755133/siemens-opc-ua-modeling-editor-(siome) ) to be able to browse and subscribe to the tag.

1 Like

Use the Siemens driver with unoptimised access and address by DBs (or other memory areas)
The 1200 has a half baked OPC UA implementation that I recommend you stay away from.

I think the native driver will stay the same, but there will be a Siemens Plus driver, where you will have symbolic addressing, similar to how Simatic Net works.

Yes. You may be lucky and upload with symbols and comments etc. 1500s have all the documentation in the controller, not entirely sure about 1200s

Unless you're super lucky any of the options being discussed will probably require access to TIA Portal. Whether you have to pay for it or just use the 30 day trial (there's a 30 day trial isn't there?) is another thing...

IIRC there is a 1200 starter kit that has a CPU, TIA, maybe an HMI.

The above PLC is an active enquiry for Ignition, luckily (for me) in the next panel there is an L18ER.

I do have another site I'm at tomorrow that has asked for Ignition on loads of TetraPak equipment which is all Siemens of some flavour.