Saving Template freezes designer (Serializing Template)

Hi,

I am currently using a template for a building layout. In the template, I have a .PNG file that is the same size as the template. This image is extremely large but gives me good resolution so I wanted to keep it. The .PNG itself is 803 KB and res of 3784x2674. I then have a container overtop of it where I am placing components around the building layout.

My issue is that every time I go to save the template, my designer freezes for so long that I end up killing the Java Web Launcher via task manager and re-opening the designer (without my saved work). the save seems to get caught up at “taking Snapshot of [Overview]” during the template serialization. I see this in the bottom left hand corner of the designer.

My question: Is there any way to increase project parameters to allow for more memory to perform this save? I have increased my RAM outlined here and Ive tried looking in the Java Console, but I am not familiar with Java and havent figured out how to change the logger level above INFO so that I can see why exactly it is hanging up.

Any suggestions would be helpful! thanks!

Looks like I get this in the designers output console.

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.ImageRepresentation.createBufferedImage(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.ImageRepresentation.setPixels(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.image.RGBImageFilter.filterRGBPixels(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.image.RGBImageFilter.setPixels(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.OffScreenImageSource.sendPixels(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.OffScreenImageSource.produce(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.OffScreenImageSource.addConsumer(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.OffScreenImageSource.startProduction(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.image.FilteredImageSource.startProduction(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.ImageRepresentation.startProduction(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.ToolkitImage.addWatcher(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.ToolkitImage.getProperty(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at sun.swing.ImageIconUIResource.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.LookAndFeel.getDisabledIcon(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JLabel.getDisabledIcon(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.components.PMIImage$3.run(PMIImage.java:154)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.EDTUtil$ProcessQueue.run(EDTUtil.java:120)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

It seems like even after updating the ignition.conf file, restarting the gateway, and clearing the Java cache my designer still has 910mb in the bottom right corner. I cannot figure out why it wont increase to the new configuration I set. the server is 64-bit with 32GB ram.

Any chance you installed 32-bit java?

would you recommend a specific install? I was looking at downloading zulu 8.52.0.23 for x86 64-bit. Im not really up to speed on the difference but maybe changing this will initiate the memory increase I am looking for?

Designer memory is a separate gateway setting. ignition.conf only controls the gateway's memory allocation.

How can I increase the designer memory?

I changed this in the gateway configuration under SYSTEM > Gateway Settings

You guys should really do a write up on similarly named properties and where to find them. I did a similar run around when trying to figure out the consoles a few months back (Designer Console/Client Console/Wrapper.log). The simple stuff like this makes me want to pull my hair out! Thanks for the heads up @PGriffith !!!