SAX Exception error with Client Launch

Getting this error when trying to launch the client launcher:
INFO [ClientLauncher ] [09:01:27,019]: Using C:\Users\operator.ignition\clientlauncher-data\clientlauncher.log to store logging info. Check there for all future logging events.
ERROR [ClientLauncherUtil ] [09:01:27,044]: SAXException thrown in loadLaunchConfig()
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:///C:/Users/operator/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/launch.xml; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.nativelaunch.util.ClientLauncherUtil.loadLaunchConfig(ClientLauncherUtil.java:60)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.nativelaunch.ClientLauncher.main(ClientLauncher.java:203)

1 Like

Only way I’ve fixed it before was to wipe and reload windows, which I’m not above doing but I’d prefer a better fix since it worked fine until we had the computer off for a few weeks during a remodel of the office. Updated Java and the Client launcher as well.

Delete the .ignition folder and launch again.

If it still doesn’t work after that open the launch.xml file at the path in the error message and see if it’s empty or not.

2 Likes

Hi @Kevin.Herron, your solution does work.

However, I’d like to know why does this happen.

I have an application where i have 9 remote tv monitor, each with a windows pc, that eventually raise this event.

It is quite annoying, because the client does not have access to those PCs, so i was wondering if you could give me an hint, on how to prevent this issue, and what is actually raising it in the first place.

Thanks

I see 2 possibilities for how it happens:

1. some antivirus software or firewall is interfering when the file is first downloaded, or
  2. the file downloaded successfully, but somehow corrupted after some time

Hi Kevin,

clients PCs are industrial PCs, with windows 10 iot, no antivirus on it, only the windows defender.

No access to the internet is permitted, so just local lan and updates are suspended.

My only concern is about power outage, in fact those PCs are not under UPS.

Is it possible that if the ignition runtime is running, and the pc get shouted down due power outage, the file doesnt close properly, or get corrupted is some way?

Thanks for your time.

Microsoft has a tool called the Enhanced Write Filter that you should use in such deployments. It freezes the disk image so that the station boots up exactly the same every time. You should let your Ignition client cache everything it needs before you “freeze” the disk. This also protects you from virii and other malware – just reboot to have clean system.

3 Likes

Could you be more specific on the folder which needs to be deleted? Do we need to reinstall Ignition after? I’m experiencing this issue with Ignition Edge 7.9.16

The folder I was talking about was the .ignition folder that gets created in a user’s home directory. It will get re-created next time that user launches the client or designer. Ignition doesn’t need to be reinstalled and this folder is not used by the Ignition Gateway in any way.

1 Like

Already tried deleting the folder and still getting this error,
@Kevin.Herron is there any other solution I can do?

this looks like a different problem, are you seeing this when you attempt to launch a client? (as opposed to opening the launcher itself) If this is the case I would confirm that the gateway address is correct, it’s reachable, and the project is enabled/valid.

Yes, when trying to launch a client from the Ignition gateway website
I fix it by rebooting my computer, but not the best way