Script Module Editor

I think the module editor could be a little more user friendly. The Package Structure pane cannot be resized (widened), and I can’t read the entire name of some of my modules. Even if the name of the module was passed to the title bar when I clicked on it, that would be a help.

Also, it would be nice to be able to right click on a module and copy the name so I can paste it into my code. Or, barring that, being able to see the pane while editing component scripts would be helpful, although I can get pretty close to that by tiling the designer and module editor as long as I don’t change focus to anything else. I’ve also exported the scripts to an xml file and generated a list of modules that way, but haven’t had time to automate that yet. Does any of this make sense?

Ok, for the next version,

1. The tree is resizable so you can see the module names
  2. The selected module name is put in the title bar

I like the right-click and copy idea, will try to do that at a future date. Also, this window is not modal - you should be able to have it up while you’re editing component scripts. I suppose on a single-monitor system this would be cumbersome, however.

Nice. Those two things will help a lot.

Hmmm, I can't seem to make it work that way. If I open the script module, and then open the script for a component, the script module disappears. The script module icon is still on the task bar, but I can't see it when I Alt-Tab through the programs. But as soon as I close the component scripting dialog, the script module appears again and I can see it with Alt-Tab.

I can do other things in the designer, but definitely not edit component scripts.

Yeah, that is because the event handler dialog is modal. If you have two monitors, you can put the module editor on the second monitor, and you’ll be able to see it with the event handler dialog up, but you won’t be able to interact with it.

The solution to this is to make the event handler dialog box non-modal, which has been requested before, and is a good idea.

Thanks Carl.

I’m trying not to be too much of a pain, but I have a couple of other things while you’re at it:

1. The scrolling in the module list window is kind of weird, like it doesn’t calculate the window height correctly.

2. When we export the modules, it would be helpful if the file name defaulted to the module name. It works that way when we import the modules.

3. When we import a module, it won’t overwrite an existing module with the same name. It’s not a big deal, but would remove a couple of steps if I didn’t have to delete the module first.

A quick bump on the scrolling height…

Beause the scrolling isn’t calulated correctly, the window is maxed out and I can’t add more modules. Well, I can add them, but I can’t get to the last ones on the list then.

Scrolling height has been fixed for 7.2.6

This was done in Ignition 7.6.