Script Running on Gateway or Client

I feel like there is a simple solution for this that I’m missing. Is there a way to detect from within a script if it is currently being executed in the Client vs in a Gateway script? I have a project script module for caching data that I would like to be able to use for both the Client and Gateway but I need to do some redirecting for helper functions depending on the environment the script is running in. (I should add, I am hoping to avoid having to add an extra input variable that I need to manually set wherever I use this script. Would like some way to automatically detect this from within the script if possible.)

As far as I understand, in perspective all scripts are run on the gateway. In vision I think that you can use these functions to check:

def getScope():
	"""gets the scope that the execution is running in and returns a string indication of which scope

Returns: a string indicating with scope the function is executing in
	"""
	from com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.model import ApplicationScope
	scope = ApplicationScope.getGlobalScope()

if ApplicationScope.isGateway(scope):
		return 'gateway'
	if ApplicationScope.isClient(scope):
		return 'client'
	if ApplicationScope.isDesigner(scope):
		return 'designer'
1 Like

If you don’t want to rely on an internal Ignition package, you can use system.util.getSystemFlags().

3 Likes

@pturmel I knew there had to be something in system.util, but I glazed right over getSystemFlags(). Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

@chandler.teigen Your solution worked great too. Thanks!

Actually I may have spoke too soon. It looks like system.util.getSystemFlags() cannot be called from the Gateway scope?

AttributeError: 'com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.Imm' object has no attribute 'getSystemFlags'

I would wrap it in a try/except block.

1 Like