Scripting Table Cell Update Bindings...Possible?

I’ve found a couple of threads that fall in this category, but neither referenced a solution that will work for me.

Here is what I have.
My company created some content for a customer which is used to monitor and control tank temperatures.
The engineer who created the graphics used a Power Table to display basic tank statuses. In the table, Cell Update bindings were used to bind tags relative to each tank (e.g. temp setpoint, top temp, bottom temp, etc.).
In total there were six cells bound for each row in the table.
This table also has scripting functions for navigation to tank detail screens as well as ability to filter the table based on other screen components.
In the case of this system, there were about 10 tanks in total.

Now the customer has come back and said, “We love it! Now do it over here.”
Well, “over here” has about 100 tanks so building the dataset for the table and then manually adding nearly 600 cell update bindings to it is not efficient or effective. Nor is it scale-able. This new site has another 100 or so tanks that may one day be added, so expand ability is needed.

I can definitely build the dataset dynamically.
It can be updated based off of a Timer component, screen event, etc.
Unfortunately the other functionality like the filtering is more problematic.
The filtering can be written into the script doing the dataset generation. However, currently when the operator selects a filter the tables data is updated immediately. One point of instruction I was given was that I CANNOT change the graphics or the interface. So changing how the operator perceives the functionality is a non starter.

So my basic question is, how can this seemingly simple, but not scale-able, functionality be implemented with out manually creating all these Cell Update bindings?
I’l looking for some options, but if manually building that dataset is my only option, I guess I’ll have to go down that road.

Thanks,
Mike

I would experiment with runtime creation of tag subscriptions in lieu of the cell bindings. You’d need to use weak references to ensure you can shut down the subscriptions cleanly when the window goes away. Or you’ll have nasty memory leaks.

That seems a little over-kill to me.
Short of looking at the link provided I have no knowledge of doing this, but with the warning you mentioned, I’d be hesitant to try an implement something like this when I know nothing about it. And just FYI, that link really isn’t helpful in actual information on how to implement this for someone at my level (or lack there of) of knowledge on it.
For example, when you say “use weak references”, I don’t know what that means.

It’d be nice to be able to programaticaly manipulate the cell update bindings.
Short of that, without setting up tag subscriptions (which I see as an even larger potential problem), is there no other way to accomplish this?

Constructing bindings programmatically is even more complicated. And more fragile, imnsho. Sorry.

Not that it helps a whole lot for you right now, but in 7.9.11 you'll be able to copy the cell update bindings out as a dataset, manipulate them in Excel/notepad/etc and paste them back in.

1 Like

Well, if you can get that out in the next few days then you will have solved my problem! :smiley:

It is actually possible to do this? I’m trying to find the way to do this.

[/quote]

Not that it helps a whole lot for you right now, but in 7.9.11 you’ll be able to copy the cell update bindings out as a dataset, manipulate them in Excel/notepad/etc and paste them back in.
[/quote]