Select 'Create [uservalue]' in perspective dropdown with tab or enter keystroke, or select none

I have a perspective dropdown bound to a named query to populate a list recent 'batches'. I have allowCustomOptions enabled to permit the user to select an earlier batch.

Per @cmallonee comment in the linked post. You must manually select the 'Create ####' option to permit the addition of the value. My concern is that if the user hit's tab or enter to instead of clicking the 'Create ####' option from the list then it automatically reverts to the last option in the bound list.

In my case this would associate subsequent data entry to the incorrect batch with no obvious indication that their manual entry had not been added.

Is there a way to allow the use of tab or enter keys to select the 'Create [user value]' option or at least force the selected value back to none if they try to use key acceptance?

Keyboard users can interact with the dropdown option by pressing the "down" key of the keyboard, and then pressing Enter. This route does not require a mouse, though if a user blindly hits enter without having first pressed down you do lose the "new" option and have to start over.

Thanks for the information. That is accurate, but not quite what I'm hoping to achieve. If the user blindly hits enter or tab I don't just lose the new option. It reverts to a different option from the list (usually the first available). It would be okay to revert to a falsey value; just not a 'wrong' batch id.